Stanley 4 1/2 plane restoration - is it worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,

A couple of years ago, before I had even the slightest clue as to what to look for (not sure I do now, but anyway), I picked up an oldish Stanley 4 1/2 plane from an antique fair. I don't expect it's particularly old, but it has wooden handles (other than 'brownish', can't really tell what species) and the body looks like it's seen a few years. The original blade appears to be present, and whilst not the thickest, will take an edge.

I would like to do a little work on it to turn it into a useful tool, rather than leave it as a top-shelf-out-of-the-way dust gatherer. Included in this would be taking back the remains of any varnish and refinishing the wood bits, fettling the frog (sounds like a euphemism...) and replacing the blade assembly with a Hock O1 and chipbreaker, thusly turning it into a nice smoother.

I am happy to do this, but for one problem - there is a small (2-3mm) crack leading from a rear corner of the mouth towards the rear of the plane sole. So, I would like advice on whether this small crack might render any attempts at tuning a little futile, or shall I just accept it and proceed?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Just go for it. The plane isn't worth much with a crack in it but it doesn't mean it won't work perfectly well as a plane. Not worth much without a crack for that matter, unless it's special and collectable in some way.

if its got a crack in it I wouldnt waste money on a good blade for it. Be a shame to spend time on it then find the crack gets worse.

Unless its something special then it probably isnt worth much anyway, so use it as practice then get yourself one without a crack and fit a good blade.

Doesnt matter if you mess up the fettling and you'll learn some lessons in the process.

I'm not sure it's relevant in this case but a very small hole drilled at the end of a crack will usually stop it getting worse.

mickthetree":347ps89t said:
if its got a crack in it I wouldnt waste money on a good blade for it. Be a shame to spend time on it then find the crack gets worse.

Unless its something special then it probably isnt worth much anyway, so use it as practice then get yourself one without a crack and fit a good blade.

Doesnt matter if you mess up the fettling and you'll learn some lessons in the process.

Yeah - fettling practise and spares source. Good victim for your first attempts.

But since it'll never be great, I'd save your time and money for a more worthy recipient.

I've enjoyed restoring cheap rust buckets to a high performance standard, but I always check that the potential quality is there before I start.

BugBear

If I were you I'd do stage 1 - put it back in working order as it is - which just means cleaning and sharpening. You may find it performs well enough!

If you think it still has room for improvement, spend some cash and proceed to stage 2 with new blade, longer yoke to make it fit, etc.

This is my 4½ before and after:

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Cheers folks, it seems the consensus is that whilst it would be a useful exercise, chances are it's not worth splurging on a new blade assembly.
That's fine, I think I paid £25 for it (which with hindsight, was prob over the top, but we live and learn), and if I learn a little more about fettling and end up with a reasonable plane (even as a scrub) then so be it. I suspect I shall just have to wait until another secondhand 4 1/2 comes along or save up for a new one (shame LN don't do a bronze one in that size :) )....

Thanks again,
Adam

Kalimna":2vz12nxl said:
....chances are it's not worth splurging on a new blade assembly.
Not unless there is something very wrong with the old one, which is unlikely
... I suspect I shall just have to wait until another secondhand 4 1/2 comes along...
Adam
Personally I wouldn't bother - I've never found much use for a 4 1/2. I'd be looking for a 5 1/2 next, or 5 or 4..

Kalimna":1un3kbga said:
Because I like shiny new things ;)

A serious question Jacob, why would you prefer a 4,5 or 5 1/2 (which I have) over a 4 1/2?

Cheers,
Adam
Because a 5 1/2 is yer basic plane which everybody should have, which makes a 4 1/2 redundant as it is not sufficiently different to be much use IMHO, but 4 or 5 both are different and so extend your capabilities

I use the No.4 1/2 and the No 5 1/2 for different things...both are useful planes in their own right and more useful than their primary counterparts IMHO.

With the crack I would just tune it up as Andy suggests...it would be a good practice and you would have a good user plane at the end of it.

Jim

Jacob":pzbqmjr3 said:
Kalimna":pzbqmjr3 said:
Because I like shiny new things ;)

A serious question Jacob, why would you prefer a 4,5 or 5 1/2 (which I have) over a 4 1/2?

Cheers,
Adam
Because a 5 1/2 is yer basic plane which everybody should have, which makes a 4 1/2 redundant as it is not sufficiently different to be much use IMHO, but 4 or 5 both are different and so extend your capabilities

I've recently been using my iron LN 4 1/2 to deliberately put a hollow in the edges of some 40mm cherry boards for jointing after preparing with a No 7. It was excellent and the 5 1/2 would have been less so owing to it's length.
Otherwise I agree with Jacob.

I think it helps to see what others think the planes are for...just EXACTLY what you just described with the No 4 1/2 Mod....

stanleyplanelist.jpg

Clearly they don't make new models for the sake of having a laugh or on a whim but they do discontinue them because of lack of sales.

Some say the half series (me included) are the most useful...others not. If a tool does just one job but does it well then it's useful in my opinion. It is then up to me alone to decide if it is worth the investment.

I tend to get really strange old planes for next to nothing at bootfairs just for the sake of playing with them. If they don't ever get used...off to eBay with them! This is my "Darwinian" approach...it seems to work!

I restate...fettle it up a bit and try it and if you don't use or like the extra width...sell it and get another one!

Cheers

Jim

i bought a bedrock no.7 a year or so ago, and it was a nice tool to use. then i spent some time and money on it made things shiny flat and sharp. it became an excellent tool that i held very dear to me, and was the envy of the whole workshop.

adiday

Jacob":2lb516ju said:

Personally I much prefer using my 4 1/2 over my no 4, a little more weight to it and I find the extra width very useful, and I haven't found a need for anything bigger, all of that stuff is done by machine or power tools.

adidat":1583uaig said:
i bought a bedrock no.7 a year or so ago, and it was a nice tool to use. then i spent some time and money on it made things shiny flat and sharp. it became an excellent tool that i held very dear to me, and was the envy of the whole workshop.

adiday

Now the Bedrock series are another slope entirely....great score! How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? Any pics?

You will note that both LN and QS adopt this model in their copies...for very good reason!

Shane":1583uaig said:
Personally I much prefer using my 4 1/2 over my no 4, a little more weight to it and I find the extra width very useful, and I haven't found a need for anything bigger, all of that stuff is done by machine or power tools.

Spot on....with the possible exception that when you use a jointer you get the immense satisfaction that it really does work if you follow certain techniques like bookmatched jointing (or whatever it's called)...

If you are going the total handtool route...(and if you frequent this forum why wouldn't you..) then mastering a No.7 is fun.

A No.6 is too small for me and IMHO is the oddity...and a No.8 is just boasting! :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

jim , I would not say that an 8 is boasting ... more like finding a soulmate. At 6 feet and 3 inches and just over 255 lbs. a number 8 is just a loverly chunk of metal to wrap your hands on. Not ragging on the shorter models here, got a number 3 that purrs one handed as well as block planes I feel comfortable with. Just feel good with that double mitt full of cast iron charm to shove down the edge of longer chunks. Truth to tell my 6 and 7 get picked up a lot as well, basically I feel they all need to be taken for a walk regularly. But the big lads really do get most of the affection, long sole to register on , weight to get moving , width for almost any job , what's not to like? And the kicker is that with a good holding system a number 8 is the best as a coopers jointer , what could be more fun? Boasting is fun , playing with them is more fun than that though.

lanemaux":rcbdnlf7 said:
jim , I would not say that an 8 is boasting ... more like finding a soulmate. At 6 feet and 3 inches and just over 255 lbs.

Please explain, or post a photo!?!??!

BugBear

lanemaux":1bsa5sf6 said:
At 6 feet and 3 inches and just over 255 lbs. a number 8 is just a loverly chunk of metal to wrap your hands on.

Man that's a big plane, is it a wadkin no. 8? :lol:

I suspect I shall just have to wait until another secondhand 4 1/2 comes along or save up for a new one (shame LN don't do a bronze one in that size )....

Adam, you mean like this ...

LNAnniversary1.jpg

LNAnniversary1-1.jpg

Sorry .. couldn't resist. I'm sure some others here may have one as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back