Staining Birch Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Just for the heck of it, I want to re-purpose a pair of IKEA Moppe chests of drawers. They are made of Baltic birch ply. (I am informed!)
I want to clean them up, stain them, beautify them, and and put them on a small English Cherry table-cum-stand.

Probably a bit of overkill, but if I don't get into the shop soon, I shall go crazy.

Can anyone recommend a good oil-based stain that would do the job please?

TIA.

John

Here's the problem.

The actual show surface on ply is generally a very, very thin veneer, about 0.5mm. And it's attached with UF glue that will have sunk some distance into that thin veneer. Consequently staining ply may result in blotchiness. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't.

To be on the safe side, instead of a stain that sinks into the surface you might want to think about a coloured finish that remains on top of the surface.

Only time I have stained birch I took Custards approach with a coloured varnish. Worked well for my needs.

Thanks Custard, Beau.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just paint it with some crazy design, to appeal to the bright, young things.
It's just a simple project to get my hand back in. I get a good foot-fall past my house, so it's easy enough to advertise the finished article as an 'unwanted gift'!

I suppose I could do a proper job, and use up some reclaimed mahogany I have. But speculative pieces tend to hang around where there's no space for them, before being given away as gifts! In my experience at any rate.

Thanks for the response; appreciated.

John

Back