Spraying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I know that there are some very knowledgeable sprayers here. I am faced with a humungous painting task in the house and thought about spraying. No furniture. No problem !

The paint manufacturer site says

little greene spraying.png

and so what sort of kit do I need, please ?

Hire or buy ?

TIA

Attachments

• little greene spraying.png
    little greene spraying.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 986
if it's inside a building and you really want to spray you will need to go airless, less overspray but you will still get some and you will also need a good extractor as after a few minutes you won't be able to see a thing or even breathe, you can hire the equipment but won't be cheap, for a conventional spray a 2 litre pressure pot minimum a 5 or 10 litre would save having to refil too much and a minimum 50l compressor at 2.5 hp, with at least 10cfm output plus an air fed respirator,

Airless spray pumps are the the thing for emulsion on walls. They work by compressing the paint in a pump which then feeds the spray gun with a stiff tube that can take the pressure. The spraygun then utilises the pressure of the paint to atomise the paint. If you multiply the pump pressure that has been set by the compression ratio that will give you the pressure at the tip. EG 50psi x 30:1 ratio = 1500psi at tip

These pumps will spray paint unthinned and have a feed tube straight into the can! (generally you will still thin to reduce orange peel etc).

Either buy new and sell once finished, buy second hand or hire.

A few makes include Wagner and Graco:

https://www.sprayguns.co.uk/MaxiSpray_2 ... 8HEALw_wcB

https://www.sprayguns.co.uk/Q-Tech_Q-P0 ... Promo_Deal

some reviews of the graco magnum X7:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graco-Magnum-2 ... B0026SSW8G

is it going to much quicker to spray? I have seen the pros using rollers and they soon get through rooms. not sure how they do it, but they do.

and sort out the orange peel if it goes wrong and the overspray?

Don't clean the tip with your finger at the same time as pulling the trigger.

and make sure the hose doesn't touch painted walls and and eventually leave wet paint on the floor ready to be walked on and eventually leave some very nice footprints in other parts of the house that weren't quite ready for a paint job, DAMHIKT

LOL...none of that is of the slightest concern to me. Floors throughout covered with plaster dust so a bit of paint doesn't matter. Just mask the windows and away you go. No clean up needed either.

are you going to get a touch up gun for when it inevitable gets knock, or the wife moves some pictures and you have to fix the holes in the wall etc. short of respraying, any other paint technique is going to show up, I don't mean a little bit either.

having done a few rooms like this, I gave the gear back to the owner and stuck with decent rollers instead.

novocaine":1o4f0y8v said:
are you going to get a touch up gun for when it inevitable gets knock, or the wife moves some pictures and you have to fix the holes in the wall etc. short of respraying, any other paint technique is going to show up, I don't mean a little bit either.

having done a few rooms like this, I gave the gear back to the owner and stuck with decent rollers instead.

Good points but I don't recall us ever knocking any paint off the walls. No kids or grandchildren or poets and SWMBO doesn't like things on walls!

At over 1000 sq m to paint, I think a sprayer is the way to go.

@RogerS:

A very impressive video you linked to, and as I hate painting myself, I can well understand you being tempted. But IMO there are some BIG buts you ought to consider before taking the plunge (and I'm not suggesting you're an silly person, really not (!) so you should REALLY fully consider:

1. Cost - buy or rent, that equipment looks expensive - very expensive, and if buying, not sure what the re-sale value would be (or if worth keeping for future use). And don't forget the cost of all the protective gear;

2. As Chrispy and others have mentioned, please do NOT underestimate the time (and the not cheap overall cost) of the masking - including well outside that open door in the video. Example: I've just done one wall of a pretty average size bedroom (with a roller) and including the masking, covering the PART (only) of the carpet that was close by the subject wall, the skirting of one wall, light switch, power point, paint mixing/filtering and clean up afterwards, the job took a full 1.5 days;

3. Would you REALLY be happy to have your paintwork the same colour and same paint type as the walls? If not please add time for gun clean/colour change and new paint prep;

4. If you were doing a "closet" like that in the video, ditto Q3 above?

5. I appreciate the present plaster dust all over the floor suggests no masking/cleaning, but unless you remove it (or mask it thoroughly) the dust and any paint spills/over spray will surely tread around the rest of the house and/or get stirred up (by your movement) into drying paint?

6. How noisy is your compressor? Mine is LOUD!!!

I'm NOT trying to rain on your parade, and there are many more people here with MUCH more experience than me, but every time I've used spray gear, all the prep and after cleaning takes so much time that in essence I find it only worth it if I have a HUGE amount to do (or in my case, a "batch" of smaller items).

But if you do go ahead I'd really like to hear how you got on.

AES

LOL....all good points but for ....

(1) I'll buy then resell afterwards on eBay.

(2) it is effectively a greenfield site. Every single wall and ceiling has been replastered. The floors are old chipboard and will be changed. There are no skirting boards. The light fittings are non-existent. The light switches will be replaced. Ditto the sockets.

(3) LOML decides the paint scheme. Same colour ceiling and wall in the room.

(4) no closets

(5) see (2)

(6) My ear defenders are pretty good (and I;m going deaf !). Neighbours ? What neighbours ? !!

No prep required. Just a paper suit and a mask. Probably not even bother with the suit, Just do it i the buddy and jump in the shower afterwards ...LOL :shock:

Use to do this by trade, and wouldn't ever spray emulsion paint, but 100% I wouldn't if the walls are going a different colour to the ceilings.

I used to be able to two coat a two bedroom flat in two days, 3 days with woodwork. Get a decent, large brush like a Purdy 3" that can lay a lot of paint whilst up the steps. That way you can cut in about a meter and a half at once whilst up, then the same at the bottom. Realistically if you work your way along a wall like this, even a large room 5meters with high ceilings can be done in about 8-10 minutes.

You can't spray, keep it clean and leave a perfectly finished wall quicker than that.

If you want equipment to speed the job up, get a tall two step platform thats easy to get onto to cut in the top, a 3" Purdy and buy trade paint.

RogerS":2d08dq34 said:
Leon1984":2d08dq34 said:
..... Realistically if you work your way along a wall like this, even a large room 5meters with high ceilings can be done in about 8-10 minutes.

I struggle to believe that time TBH

Thats one wall, not the room and easily done. You are only up the steps 4 times. 40 minutes to one coat a large lounge is doable, window box dependent as it slows you down quite a bit.

Back