Spalted silver birch bowl C&C please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obraz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I'm very new at all of this but I had some spalted silver birch in the wood store and gave it a go.
Comments the bowl and how to improve for next time please.

Cheers

Obraz

Attachments

• IMG_3676.JPG
    IMG_3676.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_3677.JPG
    IMG_3677.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,045
As you are new to turning a very good attempt at a bowl.

The first thing which you need to look at is the outer shape if you look at yours there is a change of angle as you come down to the foot Ideally for this shape bowl it would need to be a nice flowing curve unless the design requires an angular change in direction. The next thing is the foot/chucking point yes we all started by leaving them on but in your case it is a little too tall you could have got away with a smaller foot in height. Not clear in the photo is the shape of the inside in most cases but not all depending on the style the inside should follow the curve of the outside which I would feel should be the case here.

Hope this helps

Following on from Derek's comment about the curves, if the piece does not lend itself to a continuous constant curve then try and assimilate a smooth transition of radius as seen in a set of French Curves.

As confidence increases aim for thinner wall thickness or forming of rim profile to give optical illusion of lighter construction. (Slight undercut of inner surface at rim for instance.)

Hello all three

I hadn't noticed the angle change but nice keen eye, I will endever to improve. People who have seen it in the wood also commented on the thickness, I could have made it thinner but as it was very light I decided to have a competed bowl and not risk cracking it. The foot is a bit cumbersome and next one will need shortening, the inside is ok it follows the cure nearly and isn't to think at the bottom. I will have a look at the links for inspiration for design I don't plan.

Cheers for the C&C on to the next project.

Oli

Back