Some of my 2015 Challenges and Churnings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chas,
I don't know how you do it,no I really DON'T know how you do it wish that I did.I love looking at your stuff,I must try and make time and have a go at segmented work but I will try straight lines first.

Peter

beganasatree":1bjnqusx said:
.....,I must try and make time and have a go at segmented work but I will try straight lines first.

Peter

Take a particular note of wood moisture if doing closed segments, don't use one wood that is very dry and another that is so-so.
Put intended stock in somewhere warm for a while before final dimensioning.

Another one escapes the shavings,

Oak & Walnut 150mm dia.
DSCN5073.JPG
DSCN5074.JPG
DSCN5075.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5073.JPG
    DSCN5073.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSCN5074.JPG
    DSCN5074.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,147
  • DSCN5075.JPG
    DSCN5075.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,147
Odd mix of woods, OK in parts, more of a salvage job from the firewood bin to be honest, still it's all practise.

Walnut, Oak and Elm, 115mm dia.
DSCN5077.JPG
DSCN5078.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5077.JPG
    DSCN5077.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,084
  • DSCN5078.JPG
    DSCN5078.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,084
Seem to remember that I mentioned that I may have to assemble some pieces for box bodies, came sooner than expected to avoid wasting the bulk of what bits of Oak that I have to hand.
Why is it that even though you can't move in the wood store for stock there is never anything suitable for the next project or it's too good to waste in shavings.
DSCN5079.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5079.JPG
    DSCN5079.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 987
Keep looking at your last completed one above, at first I was not sure about all the beads on the outside but have to admit that the more I look at it the more I like it. Surprising how your out look on something can change.
I know that feeling I go into mine and think I will keep that piece for something special I don't want to use it on another tea light or similar, and it is still sitting in there :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dalboy":301bu50r said:
Keep looking at your last completed one above, at first I was not sure about all the beads on the outside but have to admit that the more I look at it the more I like it.

I think a closer look would put it back where it started in your evaluation stakes I'm afraid, that piece of Walnut is soft and fuzzy being near the sapwood and has had to be tinted in places to give presentable colour, should never have attempted to use it. The finishing was a bit of a hostage to the softer wood as was that of some of the Elm in the lid that was also on the verge of soft rot, came very close to the firewood bin but I guess it'll find a home somewhere.

Friday morning saw a disparate collection of glued up bits of wood that with a bit of luck would see some more progress after a quick visit to the supermarket.
bases.jpg

Well we all know what happens to best laid plans, not helped by the arrival of the Grandson returning from a shoot with eight more Pheasants Friday evening that meant Saturday morning got lost in a freezer stocking exercise.

Managed to get one box finished this morning, who knows what the next week will produce, there seems to be some event looming that's disrupting the household.

Oak and Walnut, 150mm dia.
DSCN5080.JPG
DSCN5081.JPG
DSCN5082.JPG
DSCN5083.JPG

Attachments

• bases.jpg
    bases.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 926
  • DSCN5080.JPG
    DSCN5080.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 926
  • DSCN5081.JPG
    DSCN5081.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 926
  • DSCN5082.JPG
    DSCN5082.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 926
  • DSCN5083.JPG
    DSCN5083.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 926
Oh well that's another year spun by.
Tried to finish with a flourish today having been kept out of the shed for a day or two, between being social with house guests and more freezer fodder preparation, time's flown by.
Two Boxes, Two Lids, all four pieces look OK, pity none of them make a matched pair, how come a 1/2mm gap looks so big once you have accepted you should not have touched it that one last time, doing it once then doing it a second time when salvaging the project in hand :oops: :!: :!: :!:

CHJ":2n23nbj8 said:
Oh well that's another year spun by.
Tried to finish with a flourish today having been kept out of the shed for a day or two, between being social with house guests and more freezer fodder preparation, time's flown by.
Two Boxes, Two Lids, all four pieces look OK, pity none of them make a matched pair, how come a 1/2mm gap looks so big once you have accepted you should not have touched it that one last time, doing it once then doing it a second time when salvaging the project in hand :oops: :!: :!: :!:

Like you I have not been able to get into the shed until today from when I finished making the Christmas presents, what with visiting family and ending up fitting two doors for a family member. At least I did manage to get one thing turned today which you have already seen.

Anyway onto another year and hopefully get some me time in the shed. Hope your new year is fruitfull

Back