Soba shoulder plane review £37.80 new fron eBay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve1066

Established Member
Reaction score

Soba Shoulder plane review £37.80 new from eBay
Cheep Chinese plane, the one that turn up was marked Rider well packed and covered in grease.
The first thing I noticed when cleaning was all the shape edges had been removed and it felt nice to handle, the casting was clean with no visible imperfections.
Checking for square,
I have a 75mm engineering square BS939 grade B. Good on all sides, The front of the mouth is out by 0.5 millimeter, The sole is nice and flat apart from the back right hand corner about 3mm from the end you can see some light coming under the square, could not find my Feeler gauges to measure.
Screw and threads,
as you would expect on such a cheep plane all a bit ruff. So a quick clean with a wire brush and some light grease and all is well. The backlash on the blade adjust is very slight, 1/4 turn.
The blade,
this is were it goes wrong. Nearly 2mm out of square, rounded on the back and 3mm wider than the body. It took me 1/2 hour to sort the blade out all done by hand, not knowing the quality of the steel I didn't won't to risk over heating it on the grinder. As it turns out it was quite hard. Took an edge well, I hand sharpen on 1000 grit diamond plate then finish on a Welsh slate, "usual rubbish you can cut the hair off a fleas ass it's so sharp."
Conclusion.
Well for 45min of work £37.80 posted, I have a very usable plane that seem to hold an edge, Takes lovely clean shaving in both soft and hard wood end grain and long grain leaving a nice clean finish with very little effort.
The reel test will come next week. I have a staircase to fit, no more paring shoulder with a chisel. hopefully
This is the first time I have written a review, I hope it's helpful.
Many thanks Steve.

Thanks Steve. I've added this to the sticky list of reviews in the hand tool section.

It makes you wonder if some that were rejected for QC reasons have "escaped" onto eBay. "Rider" is Axminster's value range (I think it's their own brand name). I can't imagine them letting something through that's as badly machined as this sounds like it was out of the box.

That said, I have an original Stanley #90, bought new way back around 1980, on which I had to flatten the sole and the nose together, in order to get it to work reasonably. They really don't work that well* and it's always been a PITA to get set up, and I'd hope the #92 (this one's basically a copy), ought to be better.

Years ago I did a review of the new "Sweetheart" design that's supposed to replace it (from Stanley), but frankly the machining on that seems to be worse than this one. And the big advantage this one has over the Sweetheart is the grub screw for setting the throat depth. And honestly, this design is probably more comfiortable to use, too.

Waiting keenly to hear how you get on with it in anger - still wondering about getting one, but it will probably be from Axminster though, as I trust their QC processes.

Thanks for posting about it.

E.

*[tommycooper] How does a dog with no nose smell? Terrible! [/tommycooper]

Eric The Viking":5uysiza8 said:
It makes you wonder if some that were rejected for QC reasons have "escaped" onto eBay. "Rider" is Axminster's value range (I think it's their own brand name). I can't imagine them letting something through that's as badly machined as this sounds like it was out of the box.

That said, I have an original Stanley #90, bought new way back around 1980, on which I had to flatten the sole and the nose together, in order to get it to work reasonably. They really don't work that well* and it's always been a PITA to get set up, and I'd hope the #92 (this one's basically a copy), ought to be better.

Years ago I did a review of the new "Sweetheart" design that's supposed to replace it (from Stanley), but frankly the machining on that seems to be worse than this one. And the big advantage this one has over the Sweetheart is the grub screw for setting the throat depth. And honestly, this design is probably more comfiortable to use, too.

Waiting keenly to hear how you get on with it in anger - still wondering about getting one, but it will probably be from Axminster though, as I trust their QC processes.

Thanks for posting about it.

E.

*[tommycooper] How does a dog with no nose smell? Terrible! [/tommycooper]
Yes I thought the grub screw was a nice touch
. I look at your review of the sweetheart and a few others online. Not good
I will update as soon as I've done the staircase.
Thanks Steve

Back