slotting rod

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what the item that I am seeing is called.

How would I cut a slot into a very small piece of brass rod- I have tried a hacksaw, but getting it central and straight is proving impossible?

The rod is 5 or 6mm in diameter. I want to cut a deep slot into it, like a flat headed screw, but it will be about 12mm deep. it will then be cut into 25mm lengths, so half is slotted, half is solid.

Any thoughts- I need a few of them, so a production line of sorts rather than a one off.

If you have a lathe use a slitting saw.

If not use a wooden jig - drill the correct diameter hole, saw a central slot and use as a guide

Rod

Harbo":mrs64sit said:
If not use a wooden jig - drill the correct diameter hole, saw a central slot and use as a guide

This ^

Also, how do you make a 12mm deep slot in something 6mm thick? ;)

Or, are you wanting to go down the length of the rod for 12mm. At first I had it in my head that if you were wanting something that in profile would be a C shape but now I'm thinking you want to come down the end.

down the length. I will try the suggested method and see how it goes.

As Harbo suggested.
Dependant on the size of the slot you want, you might be able to use a bandsaw?
I'm thinking of something like a pen blank with a hole drilled down the centre to hold the rod. You could then hold the assembly flat against the fence & table and have a stop behind the blade to give you a consistent depth to the slots. Once set up you could do a batch fairly quickly?

Back