shop vac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend for a small shop vac or similar for a 63 mm ducting with 5 or drop offs with blast gates; at the moment i have a parkside wet and dry vacuum cleaner from lidl Suction power (mbar)190 and was looking for something a little better so what do you use or recommend ?Also i will be using it with my cyclone ALAN

well it;s been a very hard decision picking one of the many suggestions but it look;s like it;s going to be a sip 01929
thank;s sunnybob ALAN lol

i am going to use it with a cyclone and a 63 mm ducting pipe with 5 drop offs and blast gates any suggestions welcome
Alan

The sip is actually a 100 mm inlet, but if you use anything smaller you will be emptying the bucket twice a day.

I have a 100 mm iron ducting elbow out the sip, into a reducing collar straight onto the top of my home made cyclone (medium sized traffic cone) with 63 mm pipework running an almost identical system to yours 5 blast gates and about 5 metres of tubing.

I am very happy with the system, it doesnt clog and i even have a 63 mm flexible hose that I use to vacuum the whole workshop floor with, all run from the sip. I have to empty the cyclone box and clean the sip filter roughly once a month (but thats with light hobby useage)

Sunnybob,
At risk of hijacking the OP, any chance you could show us a few photos of your setup?
It would be great to see a cheaper solution.
Thanks in advance
Greg

I will take a couple snaps later. There are a few floating around but they are out of date I think.
Be warned, I spend neither time not money on appearances, performance at the cheapest possible cost is all where I'm concerned.

OK. Stand by ya beds.....

Remember, this is NOT a beauty contest.

First is the sip inside its sound deadening box, with the 4" bend down into the traffic cone with 63 mm pipe in and out. Sitting on top of an ikea plastic storage box with a reinforced lid to stop it collapsing under the suction.

You can see the box is half full now.
IMG_1865_zpso60kfvvi.jpg

Then we have mission control. Open whichever machine is being used and make sure the rest are closed.
You can see the coiled 63 mm hose that I use to clean the workshop benches and floors at the end of each major operation.
My mrs wishes I could be that efficient inside the house, but sadly, I'm just not that good.

IMG_1867_zpsadxfmnqb.jpg

From each gate there is a straight run of 63 mm with the absolute minimum of flexible hose (excepting the floor cleaner of course).

Wow! I didnt realise my work was so stylish that it turned you all to stone.

I did warn you though, I dont care as long as it works. (LMAO)

sunnybob":q2wimk1o said:
Remember, this is NOT a beauty contest.

What the hell are you talking about? I'd marry that setup right away! :lol:

Thank you for posting that up, Mr B. Could I ask - does the SSB (SIP Sound Box to those not in the know about these technical terms :wink: ), have any 'vent' for want of a better word - I was wondering about heat build up? Or is it literally just a wooden box, no insulation / sound baffles, etc?

TIA

Greg

Greg,

internal pics on this thread
dust-extractor-noise-reduction-t105733.html

The black flap at the bottom is the air out.
Many people get worried wrongly about heat build up with this type of thing. The motor is being cooled by the air being sucked in and through the machine. Therefore it is always getting ambient air temp. Even on mine, when we are now mid 30's every day, heading towards high 30's and even low 40's, and I can leave that machine running for as long as I need it.

Just remember that as the air passes through the baffles it slows down, and therefore needs a bigger exit area.

I like it all Bob, but I like both the sound deadening box and the traffic cone cyclone the best, I may be copying them :)

You need the right kind of cone. A full sized one I tried collapsed like a burst balloon when I turned the machine on. This 3/4 sized one doesnt move.
The top of the cone is 12 mm ply, the cone is siliconed (hah) to the ply, but then I put about 10 little retaining blocks screwed down into the ply, holding the cone lip.
There are u tube vids of full sized cones used, but they have so much strengthening around them you might as well build your own from the ground up.
I did look to buy a cyclone city plastic kit one.
it was 200 quid to buy, and TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY quid to ship to me. No ta. Mine cost about 3s 6d.

mock":12sg79fm said:
thank;s sunnybob sip 01929 bought and installed and a vast difference from my lidl vac
Alan

Must be catching, I bought one two days ago also, based on Sunnybobs review!

I have a Yorkleen WV1 which I bought second ( or more ) hand. I replaced all the filters at a cost of about £50. The WV1 is still available new at £425 + VAT so at that price I was expecting pretty good performance, but I have to say I am not so impressed. I have a short ( say 4ft) length of 100mm flex hose and tried vacuuming the workshop floor and whilst it does suck up turning chips etc I have to hold it really close to the waste for it to be effective. Any chips more than about 4" away don't move. I wanted it for collecting dust from the lathe when sanding and it does seem to work then, and I can see the dust being drawn away. I also use it for bottom dust extraction from my table saw.

I was thinking to use the Yorkleen through a separator, but with the extra flexible hose that would reduce the suction even more. Plus the separator (Laguna) uses 63mm connections so it would be 100mm hose, 63mm reducer into separator drum, 63mm outlet and back into 100mm flex hose to the saw / lathe.

So I was wondering how this compares with say, the SIP at under £100. What do people think about the SIP in terms of chip clearing?

K

Back