Scroll saw with easy and fast blade change, on budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstano83

Established Member
Reaction score
I got hooked up by wooden car toys and scroll sawing pretty quickly and my inicial plan was to get a cheap scroll saw to learn on untill I read about how money wasthing they are. So I saved up 3x as much and bought Proxxon DS 460 but I got kind of disapointed. The saw runs smooth and quiet, but changing the blade or reataching it for inner cuts is complicated and time consuming.

I like the quick release that some more expensive saws like Hegner use. The chepest saw with such a release I found is Jet JSS 354 for 430€ that is available locally in my town and I could check it and maybe even run it for a while to see how it works.

So now I´m thinking of returning the Proxxon and give the Jet a try. Problem is, that I would not be able to return it if I´m not happy with it.

Your thoughts?

Accodring to my search, those are all unavailable in Europe (except Axminster). Ebay only displays them from States. With all extra charges, it would cost me as much as a new Axminster. Am I missing something?

Nope, No ebay for our contry. And if I set UK or German Ebay to display UK, or EU only, it still shows worldwide anyway.

As it was my first time with a scroll saw, making a wooden clock, I went cheap(isu - £70) and it's absolutely fine. Took a while to work out the best cutting speed but can't see why one would need to spend hundreds of £'s. I'll keep it clean and lubricated and hope for the best!

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 2,230
  • IMG_3382.jpg
    IMG_3382.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 2,229
If the Jet you mention is as good as the Axminster AWFS18 you will not be sorry

It appears to be very similar, bar the NVR switch which isn't in the picture

If you consider it, you will also need a quick release top clamp to get the best out of it, if it doesn't come with the saw already (£24 plus postage, expensive but essential IMHO)

kstano83":wz3ku1nd said:
I got hooked up by wooden car toys and scroll sawing pretty quickly and my inicial plan was to get a cheap scroll saw to learn on untill I read about how money wasthing they are. So I saved up 3x as much and bought Proxxon DS 460 but I got kind of disapointed. The saw runs smooth and quiet, but changing the blade or reataching it for inner cuts is complicated and time consuming.

I like the quick release that some more expensive saws like Hegner use. The chepest saw with such a release I found is Jet JSS 354 for 430€ that is available locally in my town and I could check it and maybe even run it for a while to see how it works.

So now I´m thinking of returning the Proxxon and give the Jet a try. Problem is, that I would not be able to return it if I´m not happy with it.

Your thoughts?

I think I would be totally fine without a footpedal, but one never knows. It is just something I didn´t looks for on a scroll saw. I will stop by in the local shop to check it personally in details. I will take some pictures and I might post them here.
whatknot is that any specific quick relase you are mentioning if you know the price? Can you direct me to it, please? That would really be handy.
Claymore if the JET JSS 354 is exactly the same as AWFS18 that you owned, how would you rate the noise level?

Claymore":1e5a42mq said:
..my AWFS18 has NVR and cannot use a pedal)

If it's the same as the Hegner, Brian, and it looks to be, there's no reason you can't fit a foot pedal. Either fit the pedal between the NVR and the motor, or remove the NVR and just fit a foot pedal. The foot pedal pretty much works as an NVR anyway - unless you inadvertently stand on the pedal while mooching around the workshop, as I occasionally do. :)

I went to the shop to take a look at the Jet saw and took some pictures of it.

The saw was certainly sitting in the shop for ages as it was covered in dust. There was somethig that looked like rust on the table, but I´m not sure. You can see it in the first picture. I tried the quick release on the top and it was VERY difficult to release and retention. I though it was too much tention on the blade and I loosened the rear spring. The quick release was smoother but the blade was too loose. The salesman even offered me a discount to above mentioned 430€/£385 if I take it because nobody wants it. I said I would prefer one that is packed and clean. I was told that then it would be full price 480€/£430. I now have mixed fieleings about the saw and would probably rather get the Axminster EX-21 for 645€/£570 including delivery to Slovakia but that price is hard to swallow. :)

I also made a video of it running.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2iExbDSfen45v8572

Attachments

• IMG_20171114_162104.jpg
    IMG_20171114_162104.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 2,062
  • IMG_20171114_161639.jpg
    IMG_20171114_161639.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 2,062
  • IMG_20171114_161631.jpg
    IMG_20171114_161631.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 2,063
  • IMG_20171114_161513.jpg
    IMG_20171114_161513.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2,063
  • IMG_20171114_161504.jpg
    IMG_20171114_161504.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 2,063
  • IMG_20171114_161443.jpg
    IMG_20171114_161443.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 2,062
Although most people wouldn't want to do it with a new saw, the rollers on the tension lever can be replaced with small bearings and it makes a big difference. Having said that, I would think the lever is stiff simply because the groove where the rollers rest probably has a sharp edge and it'll get easier as it wears. My Hegner is 15 years old and still needs a bit of a jerk to release the lever. No comments on that last sentence, please. :mrgreen:

Apologies for the late reply, I wasn't getting notifications for this thread

You asked about the quick release top clamp

Its a Hegner part and about £25 which seems a lot for such an item, but is invaluable

Without it I would agree the blade change is a nuisance

Otherwise the Jet in your photos is almost identical to my AWFS18, and a nicer saw you will be hard put to find

Vibration is virtually nil, mine sits stop an Axminster stand and isn't even bolted down and hasn't moved a muscle, its easy to maintain and keep clean

One other small mod I did was to replace the nylon bushes on the tension release lever with small bearings (2 per side) which I swiped off some spare router blades

Otherwise I would say its near perfect

I have had a Hegner but wouldn't rate that at all, vibrated all over the place and tension was a pain as it was at the back, I improved it with a quick release lever but even so

I would like to thank everyone involved in helping me out. Meanwhile I returned the Proxxon scroll saw back to amazon and decided to go the more expensive way and ordered Axminster EX-21. It should be here in about 4 weeks as it is back ordered. I cant wait to start...I will certainly post some of my (first) work here...

Latest posts

Back