Scheppach TS4000 - Value?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delaney001

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Have a chance to pick up the above lathe for about 600 pounds. Very few of these saws ever seem to come up near me (Ireland). This one is not much more than an hours drive.
Cant seem to find much info online with regards to original price or value.
Can anyone give some advice as to the performance of these machines?
Or what kind of money they fetch, it seems to me this is cheap for what looks like a very solid looking saw - but maybe I'm missing/over estimating something.

I'm a hobby diyer working off a LIDL tablesaw at the minute. It has never let me down but the fence and accuracy are not the top of its list of strengths. Would this machine be much of a jump? Would be hoping to buy it for the very long term, I'd be hoping it would do me for the next 20 years :)

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Edit - For comparison, there is a Scheppach TS4010 currently for sale for TRIPLE the price, is there that much of a justified difference or is one of these machines very badly priced?

Looking through most of the normal second hand sales sites £600.00 seems about the going rate if its complete with the sliding table and extensions, lots for sale on the German e-bay site for more than that, I don't know enough about the saw itself to give an opinion, the TS4010 seems to be the latest replacement for it, but that does not necessarily mean its better.

Mike

Just noticed some of those in Germany are three phase, so needs to be checked.

MikeJhn":1dv6bh03 said:
Looking through most of the normal second hand sales sites £600.00 seems about the going rate if its complete with the sliding table and extensions, lots for sale on the German e-bay site for more than that, I don't know enough about the saw itself to give an opinion, the TS4010 seems to be the latest replacement for it, but that does not necessarily mean its better.

Mike

Just noticed some of those in Germany are three phase, so needs to be checked.

It has the sliding mechanism and seems to be in very good nick, just a little dirty/dusty.
I'm not overly stuck for a saw, but I do want to get one in the next year or so. Just wondering will I get a better opportunity for this price range again?

The problem you could continue to have is your location, saws may not come on the open market that often, I have the same problem in France where my main workshop is, eventually I have to bite the bullet and either pay for transportation or take my trailer to pick anything bulky up myself, this has included trips back to the UK to pick up something I really want, you know your area better than anyone on here could advise you about, but in the long run it may be better to just buy it and then stop looking, or you may find one closer.......................etc:

Mike

Presuming you do have the space, have you the need for the big sliding table extension?

Can your supply handle the starting current of a single phase 4KW (if I'm not mistaken) motor?.

It has only one miter slot, but the table edge is probably workable if not sound allready

Seen a single phase 275 go for 250 euros not so long ago on done dale

What about 3 phase with an inverter? .....I would not rule out this, as quality new industrial machines, had for a bargain, have dual voltage motors suitable for inverter/VFD use (see 240V/440V or similar, on motor nameplate 220/240 being your single phase supply will run it...
I can run a 3HP/2.2KW motor from a 13a plug with a 100 quid VFD, with less problems than my single phase 1HP drill press on startup, due to an easily adjustable ramp up capability.
The fact that 3 phase is three impulses per revolution, means smoother cutting in most cases.

Are you willing to put any time into refurbishments ?

Have you any weight limit?
for instance, I can shift by myself my 275 and a 250kg TS easily, (to bring home that is)...
I'm not sure what would be too heavy, if you bring your socket set :D

Good luck
Tom

Back