Scheppach track saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep it's the Woodstar.

IMHO, if you can't run to a Festool, Makita or Bosch and if you are a pro they are easily justifiable, then stick with a good circ saw and a homemade guide, it will cope with all tasks just not quite as well as the high end plunge saws.

forgive the question, but what is likely to be wrong with it? I appreciate that a pro could justify a top end one, but am not in that camp- just wondering whether to take a punt on a scheppach/woodstar, save for longer and get the festool (which wont see that much use), or get a reasonable non track saw.

We had the woodstar in at work and it was lacking. We gave some feedback and they listened!! The new scheppach one is much better. Not just a simple rebadge. The edges on the rail on the woodstar were sharp, all eased on the Schppach, the build quality of the saw is better, the sliding strips on the woodstar rail were rubbish! Kept falling off, the Schepach ones are well stuck. The only bit lacking on both models is the splinter strip. They should have replaced it but didn't. Festool one fits and is only £20. I've used both of these and the Festool, Bosch and Makits versions (and the skil saw plastic monstrosity) and This is a well made piece of kit. The package also includes everything you would need, guides, connector and clamps.

It is made to a price point, so a festool it isn't but for the hobbiest / occasional user I would say this is great value for money.

Mick, what dust extraction like?

Ta.

Proves you shouldn't just look at a photo or just don't listen to me! :oops:

Mick, any obvious shortcomings in comparison with it's more expensive counterparts?

It does look VERY similar to another well know make, but there must be cost savings somewhere. Typically this is around the quality of the internal components as these are the most expensive. Metabo test their motors to destruction and burn each one in before being fitted, I presume Festool do the same as well. Money to be saved by not doing so.

I just went to take a comparison photo of the two side by side but we sold our last Scheppach the other day. I'll do a comparison when we get more in.

I am posting because when I was researching this ,I found this site really useful. So thanks to the previous posters.

I had a large project involving cutting a lot of mdf panels, the festool and makita , both of which I have worked with were out of my price range at the time.

I took a punt on the scheppach 55 and this is how I view it.

The construction is pretty sound, though I wonder how long the plastic adjusters for depth and angle will last.
Motor is powerful enough for mdf & ply ( not used it on kitchen worktops yet)
Supplied blade leaves marks on the end grain which suggests they are not as well engineered as the top makes, however this is a minor problem.
The splinter strip is not great, not a problem for mdf, and as per previous post can be replaced with a festool one.
There are adjusters to stop tipping on the saw for when you are cutting angles ( but if you hold the saw properly you won't need them)
I went for 2 1400 guide rails, however the joining strip is so tight, you have to hammer it in, and is hell to take apart again, so on reflection 1 rail would have been enough, as its relatively easy to put 3 marks on the board and slide the rail along.
So, if you want it to last, this is the type of tool that lives in the garage, and doesn't rattle about in the van.
But for £219.00 its well worth the money.

Hi guys I have that saw some tips I have for it is a longer cable which was a nightmare to do the how saw has to come apart totally part which wasn't fun and there is an aful lot of rock when it's sitting on the track so it doesn't give a a true 90' cut but a few strips of electrical tape fixes that in and take a piece of the spring which was to hard to use cause of the angle the handle is place in hind sight with all the mods and my time on it it works out I could of got the festool saw with two tracks proper clamps Just thought I would give my thoughts on it

Hello,

I got a Bosch track saw just last week. Already cut over a dozen 18 mm sheets of mdf, some plywood and some veneered mdf. It is flipping brilliant. The base is adjustable to take out any play it has with the track, the dust extraction is miraculous. It is very accurate and the supplied blade is superb quality. The finish of cut is amazing. Personally, I would not spend on a lower quality saw, where you are not going to get all these details for the price. All the little details add up to a precision tool and lack of them adds up to poor finish, troublesome operation and no fun. These tools are precision instruments, take away some of that precision, and they actually become useless. ( If you have to spend time fettling/adjusting the boards you cut, you will be cursing you did not get the better saw )A regular circular saw run against a batten will be just as good as a cheap track saw, for occasional use. I would advise you get one of the premium branded track saws though, you will use it more than you think when you get one and I still have a smile on my face over my Bosch purchase, the price has long since been forgotten. :lol:

Mike.

I have the Scheppach C55 plunge saw, as a non pro I could not justify the cost of the higher end stuff and my circular saw was old and not very effective even with a cutting board. The Scheppach has been a very useful in terms of cutting large sheets of MDF the track is great and I find grips really well without the clamps, which are not that great.

I suspect that the dust collection on the higher end stuff will be better, although it is hugely better than my old circular saw. I would also agree that the cable could do with being longer. You will get a better cut with a better blade than the one supplied.

If you are a professional then you are unlikely to be impressed with this but for a cash strapped amateur it is a big improvement on a circular saw.

The Woodwhisperer has done a review on the equivalent American version badged as a Grizzly. He reasonably says it is not a Festool but then it is half the price and is a good entry point.

Hi. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase some new rubber splitter strips for the tracks of this saw. Cheers

Never bought one, I put the track saw in the same boat with the impact screwdriver, a solution looking for a problem.

Mike

Do you mean you have never bought a track? I love my impact driver. Does make screwing in things much easier and quicker with the correct bits for it

Wouldn't be without an impact driver, the best £50 I ever spent!

The tracksaw I could just about live without, but it is very useful for larger sheet goods.

Back