Sand Pit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been delegated to make a sand pit for grandchild. What’s the best sand to use?
Thanks.

Roger

Washed play (soft) sand.

DEFINITELY DEFINITELY WASHED - Otherwise you'll be delegated to clean the completely permanent stains out of said grandchild's clothes (It NEVER comes out, DAMHIK) It is much more expensive, but an absolute must, (or nip down to Weston and collect a trailer full of mud from the beach!)

Cheers

Greg

Argos play sand was about the cheapest option when I filled one for myboys a couple of years back. Also the plastic clamshell ones work well, they close to keep the rain, birds, cats etc out and the top doubles as a paddling pool if required.

F.

We used silver sand from a builder's merchant. At the time it was far cheaper than buying play sand for a 1500 x 1500 x 250mm sandpit. No problems with staining, just with losing toys in the depths!
Duncan

Yeah, silver sand here too. I bet the play sand is no different, just a different label and more margin.

gregmcateer":uhqfbdil said:
Washed play (soft) sand.

DEFINITELY DEFINITELY WASHED - Otherwise you'll be delegated to clean the completely permanent stains out of said grandchild's clothes (It NEVER comes out, DAMHIK) It is much more expensive, but an absolute must, (or nip down to Weston and collect a trailer full of mud from the beach!)

Cheers

Greg

Make sure you get the Crown's permission in writing first. My dad went to get some rocks from our local beach in the mid 80's, to make a rockery for my mum. half way through loading the cortina along came a nice constable and nicked him. made him put them all back and a couple of months later he got a £15 fine. Everything lying around on a beach belongs to her maj apparently, who knew

Fitzroy":e1b3aivy said:
Argos play sand was about the cheapest option when I filled one for myboys a couple of years back.

+1 for Argos being the cheapest. they had a special offer in the school holidays last year. My chickens love it. :mrgreen:

Droogs":7qjw92rr said:
gregmcateer":7qjw92rr said:
Washed play (soft) sand.

Cheers

Greg

Make sure you get the Crown's permission in writing first. My dad went to get some rocks from our local beach in the mid 80's, to make a rockery for my mum. half way through loading the cortina along came a nice constable and nicked him. made him put them all back and a couple of months later he got a £15 fine. Everything lying around on a beach belongs to her maj apparently, who knew

I have some of her stones in my front garden! if she pops round she can have them back!

Pete

Droogs":18dpwqdt said:

So she's the one who put all the plastic bottles and bits of old fishing net on our local beach. :shock:

Thanks for all the ideas and info. I'll probably go to Wickes as they're easy to get to and park, unfortunately Argos not so.

Another vote for Play sand from Argos.
Was the cheapest available for me when I bought it last year.

Racers":oryh3iqz said:
I have some of her stones in my front garden! if she pops round she can have them back!

Pete

My Dad quietly appropriated a vine cutting from Hampton Court and took great delight in drinking wine stolen from Henry VIII

Back