Router Table Insert - Group Buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aluminium or Mild Steel Router insert set?

• I would like an Aluminium Plate\Rings - CAN tap\drill myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would like an Aluminium Plate\Rings - CAN'T tap\drill myself.

• I would like Mild Plate\Rings - CAN tap\drill myself.

• I would like Mild Plate\Rings - CAN'T tap\drill myself.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
As has been discussed quite extensivley in the following thread,

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3783

I'm running a Group Buy by on laser\waterjet cut router table inserts. These will be 12"x9" with the following,

- centre hole of 90mm dia
- 3 rings of 110m outer dia [50mm inner hole, 30mm inner hole & no hole]
- 6 mounting holes*
- 2 pin holes*

* - these may either be laser marked for people to drill them out themselves or be supplied already drilled. It entirely depends on what the majority want.

If there is anyone who would like to join but doesn't possess a pillar drill and taps\dies - or doesn't feel confident using a hand drill - and would otherwise not join the Gruop buy - I'll drill & tap their set. Would be nice if a few other souls volunteered to help out with such stuff should there be anyone local to them.

2 types will be run,

- Aluminium Plate (8mm) & Aluminium Rings (3mm)
- Mild Steel plate (6mm) & Mild Steel Rings (3mm)

The actual specifics for each group can be slightly different - that will be hopefully sorted out in the coming week. I can see 2 diff threads to ensure there's no mixup.

Please Vote for which group you'd like be part of - or both. We require a min of 10 sets for each & from the posts on the main thread I think we are over 10 for each type.

As this is for fellow forum-mites - this is a zero profit group buy, so I don't ever expect to find them for sale somewhere!

Please bear in mind that the "can't tap\drill myself" option is genuinely for those that are unable to do it themselves due to either not having the gear or some impediment, etc. - not 'cos you can't be pineappled looking for where you put the taps and dies, from the last time you used them.

I expect postage for the MS one to be no more than £8 (parcel to go or similar) and certainly no more for the Aluminium set (less if Royal Mail charge less). Will also dispatch sets together for those that live near to one another, etc.

Edit: Prices best prices we've had so far are,

MS - £10 (approx)
Aluminium - £15 (approx)

All prices are excluding VAT and in all fairness I haven't been able to get a price on creating the shoulder. I'll try and do that this lunchtime.

Edit: 2

Just rung one local Eng shop for a 3mm (or 3.1mm) deep shoulder 10mm wide would cost £100 all in for 25 sets - working off 10 Aluminium and 15 MS, done on CNC.

So indicative Prices are

Al - £18.50
MS - £13.50

plus postage. I'll ring some more local firms - but it gives you an idea.

Hi,

Mild steel can tap

Mild steel! shouldn't that be low carbon steel :wink:

Pete

Racers":3psp0bsc said:
Hi,

Mild steel can tap

Mild steel! shouldn't that be low carbon steel :wink:

Pete

When the "design" is finalised you can have another poll to select the exact grade of steel if you wish? :wink:

Mild Plate\Rings - CAN'T tap\drill myself.

Not because I'm lazy! I don't own taps etc...

Thickest plate you offer please.

I'd put the prices on this page too, at least rough ones.

Pete

Have opted for mild steel, can tap myself - would rather someone else drilled though as none of mine run straight anymore! Push comes to shove, it's no biggie. Expect losts of dumb questions about building a table next!

thanks
C

Gone for MS, have never drilled or tapped but currently feeling brave enough to give it a go / learn :? :D - offcuts to practice on would be good though.

Happy to act as a pick up point in Gloucester (I've noticed a few members live / work around here) to keep postage costs down.

mild steel please and could the unholed ring be centre marked? and some more be made available?

I can do yours Dave. Also I think Matt_S was interested. So we'll combine our shipping to me when all is said and done.

paininthe":lt7zyddv said:
mild steel please and could the unholed ring be centre marked? and some more be made available?

As the MS will be lasercut - yes, we can centre mark the ring and there's no reason why someone could not have extra rings.

Or if someone wanted steel plate and Aluminium rings, should be able to accomodate that.

ali for me i dont mind drilling and countersinking my self but i dont understand the need to tap a thread into it am i missing something?

halken":3qxe6zrt said:
ali for me i dont mind drilling and countersinking my self but i dont understand the need to tap a thread into it am i missing something?
The part that needs tapping are the holes that are in the centre cutout of the main plate, so you can screw down the rings.

The other holes can be plain or threaded depending on personal choice.

Back