Rockler woodworking products.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.rockler.com/faq_ordering.cfm#International

International Orders

Shipping options for international orders are supplied at checkout, along with estimated costs. Confirmed shipping costs that vary significantly from estimated costs are confirmed with the customer before the order is processed.

Note: The customer assumes responsibility for customs charges and other applicable fees or taxes as required.

Hi PS - if you do order from Rockler, would you report back later re actual landed costs - shipping, duty, vat?? I'd certainly be interested as they stock loads of nice items and list prices are generally very reasonable.

condeesteso":2tet2oad said:
Hi PS - if you do order from Rockler, would you report back later re actual landed costs - shipping, duty, vat?? I'd certainly be interested as they stock loads of nice items and list prices are generally very reasonable.

The snag is, as with all imports, the duty + carrier collection charges + VAT can easily erode any savings on the initial price. Okay for small low cost items (under about $25) that will be sent ordinary USPS but I found larger stuff is generally not financially worth the bother.

Depending on what you want, I will be in the US this week (flying tomorrow) and will pass by the Rockler store near Cambridge MA. You could buy it and if I can fit it in my case I will bring it back for you.

Where abouts are you in the UK?

If you go in the Cambridge shop, make sure you get served by the one legged guy called Woody (I think his actual name is George). Great guy and personally posted stuff onto me which was out of stock, off his own back, not my request.

As for ordering stuff online I agree with the previous comments re Vat, duty etc, adds up on big purchases but not so bad on small items. Sometimes the have great offers on stuff which after the "extras" still works out quite well, I've had t track in the past with good discounts and lots of extras like knobs hold downs etc thrown in.

Mark

cutting42":2evhq3l5 said:
Depending on what you want, I will be in the US this week (flying tomorrow) and will pass by the Rockler store near Cambridge MA. You could buy it and if I can fit it in my case I will bring it back for you.

1791260_main

haha, hope you don't regret making that kind offer!

nice Americans will often mark items as "gifts" with a value of less than $20, which makes them exempt from duty. but I'm sure our lovely HMRC are wise to that one by now, it probably wouldn't work for a bandsaw. ;)

That's very kind Gareth... what a nice bunch.
Re costs, yes we have all done it (stuff from the States) but it is a bit of a lottery I have found. Once got about $200 worth from Lee Valley and they marked it as samples, so not one extra dime. But just got a Stanley no4 through ebay and I've been got. I paid about $55 (say £38 ish), shipping is about £28 (fair enough, knew about that) but bloody Parcelforce hit me for £11.78 VAT (what value did the guy sending it put on... how should I know) plus handling admin £8. So my sweet No4 is heading towards the ton. It better be good :cry:

cutting42":31qascft said:

Where abouts are you in the UK?
Hi Gareth, thanks for your very kind offer,but I wasn't looking for anything in particular, there just seems to be so many useful jigs and things that I was wondering if it was worth sending for anything! Thanks again for the offer! Phil.

No worries, you are welcome any time. I work over in the US about every 6 weeks or so. I have acted as courier for others in the past. As long as it fits in a regular suitcase with my stuff I am happy to help.

I have bought myself loads of stuff over the years, best was a Veritas low angle Jack for 140 quid instead of 275 from Axminster!

condeesteso":1cwcip1r said:
Hi Douglas,I went ahead and ordered (or rather my brother did on my behalf) A few items from Rockler.....2 bench-dog feather boards,b'dog push bloc and A b'dog push loc,which came to A total of $46.96 but with tax and shipping(to N.Ireland) the final total was $91.00 which at the current exchange rate is about £57.00....not to bad considering the same products would have come to A total of £90.00 before postage in the UK ! .I'll post A break down of the tax,import duty and shipping costs when the items arrive ,I might add though that these items are not heavy. 'Hope I've been of help. Phil.

I've been in the US since 2000 so if anyone wants stuff ordered from places here and sent over I'd be happy to help out. Some items may be easier/cheaper for me to get locally than ordering from rockler et al it all depends on what it is.

'those comes under the general needs'

General needs. I'll be needing some of those then (being as they are general and all).

(quick to spot Adidat =D> )

condeesteso":33siletp said:
That's very kind Gareth... what a nice bunch.
Re costs, yes we have all done it (stuff from the States) but it is a bit of a lottery I have found. Once got about $200 worth from Lee Valley and they marked it as samples, so not one extra dime. But just got a Stanley no4 through ebay and I've been got. I paid about $55 (say £38 ish), shipping is about £28 (fair enough, knew about that) but bloody Parcelforce hit me for £11.78 VAT (what value did the guy sending it put on... how should I know) plus handling admin £8. So my sweet No4 is heading towards the ton. It better be good :cry:

you actually underpaid the vat - looks like whatever he put (and it would have been on the package slip) ended up as £32 in the calculations.

it's the handling charge that annoys me - there should be a way to pay the duty electronically when purchasing to avoid the need for any middleman's handling costs (especially on items around £25)

Back