Remote control air filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a very similar one, it is a Perfrom which was the Axminster "economy" brand. Works very well when I remember to use it!

I've got one, i haven't had it long enough to need to change the filters yet though.

No problems so far, and it's not too loud.

I leave it running the whole time i'm in the workshop usually.

Ha yeah and when it's back in stock the price will shoot up and they'll say "Was £265, now £199" ;)

They did that with bobbin and belt sander I was waiting ages for. Cheeky bug7ers!

I have one too (!) and so far, very pleased (roughly 6 months). So much so that I'm thinking of getting a 2nd (my cellar is quite voluminous - but NOT all for workshop use unfortunately).

As someone said above, it's fairly quiet (MUCH quieter than my shop vac for example), has 3 levels (speeds) and a timer (you can set it for 1, 2 or 4 hours, plus continuous of course), all with a hand-held remote control.

Because of low head room in my cellar it's installed VERY close to the ceiling (I made some MS brackets which needed less height than the supplied hooks and chains). In the handbook it gives a certain minimum distance below ceiling for mounting (I forget what it was) and mine is certainly mounted higher up than that (just about room for the power cable to go over the top of the casing, between the machine and the ceiling). So before buying I checked with Record on the phone (very helpful) who saw no big problems with mounting mine right up close to the ceiling, and so far they're right - no problems.

I've removed the outer (in-going) filter a couple of times so far for vacuuming - each time it was pretty full, so it must be doing something!

At the same time I also bought a spare for each of the filters (inner and outer) but haven't needed them yet.

Recommended. Usual disclaimers.

P.S. Just as a matter of interest I bought mine in Germany, although I live in Switzerland (which does have a Record dealer not far away from me). But it was cheaper from Germany than from the Swiss dealer, even allowing for the courier charges and import duty - in other words, I think there are special offers about, probably in UK too.

P.S.S. Not teaching granny to suck eggs but it's an airborne dust filter, NOT an extractor. In other words, if you have a sander for example, as in my case, you also have to arrange separate dust extraction from that - the Record machine will "only" pick up what floats away into the air free from the sander DE.

HTH

AES

I've got the Jet one - Pleased so far, (though don't actually know how much of the really small dangerous stuff is dealt with, (Not enough, if Bill Pentz is to be believed)

Yeh, I 2nd that comment too gregmcateer, also having read a lot about dust (inc Bill Pentz).

But as said in my post, having seen all the "brown stuff" that I vacuumed out of the filter, it must be doing something, and I figure (rightly or wrongly) that something's better than nothing - and nothing is what I had before!

AES

I've had an AC400 for 5years and use it in my single car garage. I had to replace a PCB (under warranty) but otherwise it has performed impeccably. Highly recommended.

Cheers guys, thanks for your recommendations. That's me convinced, I'll get one of these.

I may be missing something but could anyone explain to me the point of hanging a fine dust filter from the ceiling when the dust is produced below your elbows and has to pass your nose to get to the filter.

powertools":1lxuxdtl said:
I may be missing something but could anyone explain to me the point of hanging a fine dust filter from the ceiling when the dust is produced below your elbows and has to pass your nose to get to the filter.

It's just another level of extraction. I extract at source and wear an air mask, but some still gets in the air, as all the dust in the filter attests. I think this argument has been done to death.

My Record was obtained from D&M Tools and for £160, if it only removes 10% of the dust that escapes into the air, then it's 10% better than it was without it and the money is negligible.

skipdiver":1iafc943 said:
powertools":1iafc943 said:

It's just another level of extraction. I extract at source and wear an air mask, but some still gets in the air, as all the dust in the filter attests. I think this argument has been done to death.

My Record was obtained from D&M Tools and for £160, if it only removes 10% of the dust that escapes into the air, then it's 10% better than it was without it and the money is negligible.[/quote

If this has been done to death can you point me in the direction where the answer to the fine dust problem is to draw it upwards past your nose rather than downward out of harms way.

I think you ARE missing something powertools - please note I started this post when your last arrived so this bit is written AFTER the rest below. But I think/hope that at least a partial answer to your latest question/comment - see below.

Just as skipdiver says, I know that however good your DE direct from a tool is, some dust does escape into the atmosphere, and judging by the amount of dust lying around without an air filter - including ABOVE working level please note - to have a filter does help to some extent.

To exactly WHAT extent I have no real idea, but since I've had my Record there's certainly less dust lying around than before - and as per my 1st post on this, mine is mounted as close to the ceiling as it can possibly go. But yes, of course, you're right, some (but certainly not all) dust DOES pass my nose - as well as go up it no doubt! But the point is the Record IS definitely creating an air movement towards itself, and I'm by no means always standing in a direct line (horizontally and vertically) between, say, my sander and the air filter.

Your choice of course, but after a lot of thought before buying I'm glad I did. (And that's so before or after your last post). In short, I think it does help to some extent at least, but if you don't think so, then don't buy one.

AES

And a P.S to my last post for you powertools:

Don't forget that using my disc sander as an example, the dust which my DE setup does not capture is mainly being thrown off the disc - in both upwards and downwards directions (but my DE is mainly extracting from below). So yes, my nose is near (-ish) to all that, especially the upwards dust flow, but as posted above, not all of it is going up my nose.

And if I'm sanding something "nasty" like MDF, then I do use a mask.

AES

powertools":1hg25lv5 said:
If this has been done to death can you point me in the direction where the answer to the fine dust problem is to draw it upwards past your nose rather than downward out of harms way.

If you do the torch test, you'll find the fine dust is already up there, suspended in the warm air rising from machinery and escaping through extractor filters. Mine at ceiling height collects a surprising amount of dust that the low level 3 hp extractor doesn't cope with.

Back