Record vice 52D Quick release parts missing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philoe Beddoe

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site, but found some interesting posts related to my question, so I hope you can help me.

I found an old Record woodworking vice (52D Quick Release) in one of the sheds on the farm next to our house (which are mouth-wateringly full of stuff to restore). The vice was jammed and rusty so I took it apart, cleaned and de-rusted it, but while working on it I noticed that all the parts of the quick release mechanism (handle and bolt, spring, grooved nut, and sliding bar) are missing (I had never heard of quick release before, one of the things this site helped me with).

I am hesitating between just fixing the guide of the screw so it will work without the quick release parts (it is moving fine now if I hold the guide down), or trying to restore the quick release function. A look online showed me that buying the parts new would cost more than I want to spend (£38 for all parts and £25 for just the spring and grooved nut on Knighton- tools), so I have been thinking whether I can make some of the parts myself (loads of scrap pieces of metal/bolts/etc. lying around in these sheds as well).

Would anyone with such a vice be able to give me the dimensions of these parts, especially the length, width and thickness of the flat sliding bar, and the length of the bolt into which the sliding bar fits, and maybe the length of the groove in the bolt? Also, does anyone know where I might get hold of the spring cheaper than mentioned above – I won't be able to make the spring, so if I can't find one, I will try to make up something else.

Many thanks!

BB, isn't it a standard ACME thread so any standard halfed nut would help?

Cheers
Pedder

Hi Bugbear and Pedder,

Thanks for the quick replies! What do you mean by the half nut? Is it the thing that holds the main vice screw down? I've got that. Or do you mean the nut with the notches that is attached to the handlebolt of the QR and seems to hold the QR sliding bar in place (couldn't quite figure out from the pictures what that nut does exactly). Don't have that.

I'd still appreciate the measurements if anyone has them!

Cheers!

Thanks, I have part O! Phew!

It is J, K, L, M, N that's missing, and I was hoping to get the dimensions for M and the straight bit of J.

Cheers!

I would think if you've got the half nut and part P, you could make it work as a non qr vice by fixing it so the half nut stays in place.

Thanks JohnPW,

Fixing it so it works without the QR is indeed plan B, but I thought it would fun trying to restore the full function.

Hopefully someone might still have the dimensions?

Cheers and thanks very much for the replies so far!

Before you go any further you need to know if the vice is worn out.

Is the thread worn too much?

Is there too much wear in the guide holes where the bars pass through the back section?

It is very commendable to have the drive to restore all the missing parts but if it is too far gone, using it will not be a pleasant experience.

Got any pictures?

record-50-vise-problem-t87177.html

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy, great tip and thread! Thanks!

I clamped a piece of wood and I could really tighten it well. The guide holes are also a snug fit, so I think it looks ok. Added some photos of the half nut, screw and guide holes.
P1520187.JPG
P1520186.JPG
P1520185.JPG

Cheers!

Attachments

• P1520185.JPG
    P1520185.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 2,817
  • P1520186.JPG
    P1520186.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 2,817
  • P1520187.JPG
    P1520187.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 2,817
Hi, I wanted to let you know what happened with my plans to restore the QR function. Seems to be working. Some pics to explain: I cut the head of a bolt and cut a groove in it and halfway into the nut as well. Also cut a whole to secure the slide. The made a new handle and attached it to the bolt with a split pin. Added another split pin below to lock the slide into its locking position (see picture 1&2).
Grooved bolt and nut with handle and spring attached.JPG
17 Part attached - also see spring.JPG

In pic 3 the bolt is secured to the slide which was a rusty bit of metal I found at the farm and ground down to the right size.
20 With slide secured with bolt.JPG

Pics 4 & 5 shows the second split pin set into the front of the vice (drilled a little hole). It locks with the pin in the bolt to secure the slide and the half nut in the locked position so you can work the screw (pic 4) or in the open position (pic 5).
26 Other locking split pin placed in front body - in locking position..JPG
27 In open - sliding - position.JPG

It seems to work fine. I had some trouble with the guiding bars initially. The were very tight and you could move the vice with the screw, but not in the unlocked position (it would also push the half nut up, so wouldn't open). I fiddled with it a little bit and then it just slid perfectly (one of the sliding bars was loose, I could turn it in the front body. The other was solid. Turning the loose one suddenly made it slide just fine). This was a fun project and quite nice to restore the vice to full function even without the correct parts. This might also be an option for those who find that the original spring is not strong enough anymore to hold the half nut down properly. I'll have to see if this system holds up to any use or I find any other disadvantages, but the locking position seems more secure than the original, because it is really locked in place by the split pins, rather than kept in place by the power of the spring.

Cheers,

Philo

Attachments

• Grooved bolt and nut with handle and spring attached.JPG
    Grooved bolt and nut with handle and spring attached.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 979
  • 17 Part attached - also see spring.JPG
    17 Part attached - also see spring.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 979
  • 20 With slide secured with bolt.JPG
    20 With slide secured with bolt.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 980
  • 26 Other locking split pin placed in front body - in locking position..JPG
    26 Other locking split pin placed in front body - in locking position..JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 980
  • 27 In open - sliding - position.JPG
    27 In open - sliding - position.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 980
Hi Philo, just spent the afternoon repairing a couple of Parkinson 14 quick release vices and now I understand what you were up to when you did this. Beautifully simple and more easily repeatable than the clock type spring set up.

I had one broken spring which I brazed back together and that's worked a treat, we'll see how long for. It seemed to be made of something closer to mild steel than spring steel which made it a lot easier to work with. Think I might have a go at making a replacement spring if it doesn't last.

Shug

Hi Shug,

Yeah it's fun fixing these old vices. How would you "make" a replacement spring (I assume you mean the clock type spring)?

Cheers,

Philo

Back