record T5 side handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head clansman

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

just bought myself an axminster M950 lathe see link https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/axmi ... 40272.html

For my first little try out on the lathe , I have an record T5 plane with no side handle , so was wondering if any one who has such a handle could possible post a pic showing the shape and some near approximate measurements please. it would be muchly appreciated , thanks to anyone in advance. hc

hi paul

thanks for that appreciated ,I know of this web site , but would like some dimension if at all possible from someone . like to try and keep the plane looking as authentic as possible . hc

HC

I have the side handle on my LN No 9 mitre plane, its not quite the same as the T5 but it will give you an idea, you are welcome to borrow for sizing.

hi tony

thank you for your very kind offer , I just looked up a lie nielsen no 9 mitre plane , I have two T5 plane one of which is going to be turned into an infill plane the other the best of the two as I said earlier I very much want to keep this T5 as authentic as possible , would you mind if I decline your offer this time around, It's a little two much of a different to look like it's a record T5 side handle, but thank you anyway. hc

head clansman":3roaevo7 said:
hi tony

thank you for your very kind offer , I just looked up a lie nielsen no 9 mitre plane , I have two T5 plane one of which is going to be turned into an infill plane the other the best of the two as I said earlier I very much want to keep this T5 as authentic as possible , would you mind if I decline your offer this time around, It's a little two much of a different to look like it's a record T5 side handle, but thank you anyway. hc

Not a problem HC, you might want to have a chat with the woodkateer in Broadmayne (Martin) because he might have one in his collection.

Waka":170l0021 said:
head clansman":170l0021 said:
hi tony

Not a problem HC, you might want to have a chat with the woodkateer in Broadmayne (Martin) because he might have one in his collection.
He does, 'cos I refurbed one and sold it to him, but I get told off if I post pics :oops: The handle and tote I made for Martin's T5 were in English Walnut, but the side handle was not so elongated as the original - Rob

Hi HC.

I found the front knob of a Record 735 fibreboard plane fits the tapped holes in the sides of my T5. It's not the correct shape (but it works), though like you, I eventually want to replicate an original side handle.

If it helps, the thread appears to be 1/4" 20 tpi which is standard BSW ('though I could only measure off 4 teeth, but 18 tpi was wrong and 22 tpi didn't look quite right).

You could try a PM to recordcollector. If anyone would have an original to measure, he'd be the man.

Please post the results. Thanks.

Cheers, Vann.

hi vann

the tread is no problem i found that the threaded bar in main handle of the plane fits ok with no problem at all ,it just i want to get the measurement so i can turn up an exact replica and keep it as authentic as possible I'll try a pm to recordcollector see what happens. hc

ps if i get a reply i will certainly post the reply .

head clansman":19ok0syw said:
the tread is no problem i found that the threaded bar in main handle of the plane fits ok with no problem at all...
Interesting. I tried that - but it was too loose, so I looked up the threads. The handle and knob bolts are 20 tpi but only 7/32" diameter (a non-standard thread copied from Stanley). Watch that you don't strip the thread in the cast iron :shock: .

head clansman":19ok0syw said:
ps if i get a reply i will certainly post the reply .
I've got my fingers crossed. :)

Cheers, Vann.

Hi

I've got a few T5's, which I think have the original side handles, laying around.
I'll check tonight and post pics/dimensions then

Mark

I made this a few years back. It's a fairly careful tracing, with key dimensions noted with a caliper.

t5_handle.jpg

I should mention that this handle is not very ergonomic!

BugBear

That's great Bugbear.

Those dimensions must be centimetres (I'm used to using mm myself :wink: ).

Many thanks.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":1tt6zm5q said:
That's great Bugbear.

Those dimensions must be centimetres (I'm used to using mm myself :wink: ).

Many thanks.

Cheers, Vann.

I'll try to find a conversion table for you...

BugBear

Apparently there's a gap in the market for someone making these - I had an email the other day from a dealer, who shall remain nameless, hoping to find someone making them as their previous supplier had stopped.

Alf":291q5prt said:
Apparently there's a gap in the market for someone making these - I had an email the other day from a dealer, who shall remain nameless, hoping to find someone making them as their previous supplier had stopped.

I don't suppose the pay rate would be much!

BugBear

Back