Record 071 Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this Record 071 router plane for £1.67 but it was only the base plate with knobs. As I thought that the chances of finding the missing parts were very slim I obtained a Veritas cutter and set about making the rest of the items needed to my own design. I made the collar from a block of mild steel, which was the most work. As it happened, AndyT very kindly gave me the shoe for the depth stop, which saved me a lot of filing. Now I just need to make a fence for the plane - does anyone find a router plane fence useful?

Attachments

• IMG_5549C.jpg
    IMG_5549C.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 1,594
  • IMG_5548C.jpg
    IMG_5548C.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 1,594
  • IMG_5547C.jpg
    IMG_5547C.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 1,595
  • IMG_5546C.jpg
    IMG_5546C.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 1,593
  • IMG_5532C.jpg
    IMG_5532C.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 1,593
  • 20170922_182421C.jpg
    20170922_182421C.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,592
  • IMG_5391C.jpg
    IMG_5391C.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,592
  • IMG_5290C.jpg
    IMG_5290C.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 1,592
Very classy!

I've only used the fence on my Stanley 71 once, when I was cutting shallow grooves for some bookcase strip. That was before I had a plough plane. In all normal use the sides of the housing or groove are established by sawcuts and the router can be used freehand between the kerfs.

You did really well getting a router for so little cash - the prices have gone really high since Paul Sellers explained to the world how useful they are.

And I am pleased to have been able to contribute in a small way.

Btw, is that handy little filing vice a bit more of your work?

That's a fine job!

I know it's not really a woodworking activity, but I find filing a very satisfying activity, especially when the patience you need to 'creep up on' a nice fit between two parts pays off.

As for hand router fences, I can't recall ever using one. One feature the metal pattern have is screwholes allowing the fitting of auxiliary wooden soles; it may be easier to improvise a wooden sole with a built-in fence if one is ever needed. That may be more pragmatic than making a metal one and losing it after not using it for years and years!

Got a metal fence for mine, used it once, not very successful.
Might be better on a curved job, but great care would be needed.

Bod

Seriously impressive work!!

AndyT":233guhri said:
the prices have gone really high since Paul Sellers explained to the world how useful they are.
Yes, the Sellers Curse... everything from sash clamps to Marples chisels - Even Aldi chisels are going for £25+, with the tag "As recommended by Paul Sellers"!! :cry:

Beautiful restoration! =D> Especially the new collar and brass thumbscrews!

I too have never used the fence. I've actually been thinking about doing some remedial work on my 071; it's convex across the width by about 0.5mm. If you shift weight from one handle to the other this makes it dig in sometimes.

Thanks for all your kind comments.

[Btw, is that handy little filing vice a bit more of your work?[/quote]
No Andy, I bought that one but I can't remember where I got it from.

Tasky":2zubymh1 said:
Yes, the Sellers Curse... everything from sash clamps to Marples chisels - Even Aldi chisels are going for £25+, with the tag "As recommended by Paul Sellers"!! :cry:
Ironic when something which is recommended on the basis of low price becomes sought after and expensive on the basis of the recommendation.

BugBear

I can't get behind the colour you've painted it but stonking restoration job there rxh =D>

Inspirational work Rxh as always. Thanks for sharing. Smashing stuff, an improvement on the original tool in my humble.

Outstanding, you have done a wonderful job on the router plane. However, at the risk of appearing rude, is the final colour of the body grey, or is it primed awaiting paint?

Thanks all. I just happened to have some grey paint for metal so I thought I'd see how it would look. I may paint it blue.

Latest posts

Back