Record 044C Plough Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colaboy

Reaction score
Hi.
I’ve just got a Record 044C plough plane off eBay. It was a very good price but it only came with bead cutters. Does anybody know if any other make of cutters will fit it?

I've been looking at the Veritas ones on Axminster. I'm trying to get a dimension from them but, haven't heard back yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

Colaboy":2boivaii said:
Hi.
I’ve just got a Record 044C plough plane off eBay. It was a very good price but it only came with bead cutters. Does anybody know if any other make of cutters will fit it?

I've been looking at the Veritas ones on Axminster. I'm trying to get a dimension from them but, haven't heard back yet.

Paul

Hello,

Ray Iles makes replacements. Try workshop heaven. I don't think any other makes fit, including other Record plough/combination models.
https://www.workshopheaven.com/hand-too ... irons.html

Mike.

Edit, sorry just realised it is the 044c different again. If you have beading cutters, then you 044c has been upgraded to a 045c or 050c which was an option. eBay often have sets of original replacements.

Hi Mike, thanks for the great info.

It's all a bit new to me, i'm traditionally a power tool man but i'm trying my best to give the handtools a go.

This is the chap in question:

Attachments

• Plough Plane.JPG
    Plough Plane.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,434
Hi

Secondhand Tools in Devon currently have an unused set of blades for 044c on their website The price which includes postage is probably more than you paid for the plane but I expect you would get close to your money back if you find the plane is not for you

Cheers

Any other metal plough plane blades will fit, new or old, Record or Stanley. If they don't have a notch on the right side you can cut one, or just set the adjuster wheel on the tip of the blade.

Oh ok, that's great news Andy thank you.

So I assume they're all 3mm thick?
As there's no cap iron as such, they are clamped sideways into a 3mm groove.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

More like an eighth of an inch, but yes!

(I don't have any Veritas blades but I'd be surprised if they didn't fit as well.)

I got the ray isles blades for my no44 and they've been great, very nice steel quality, seems better than average, and was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for that Thetyreman, I've heard very good things about them.
Unfortunately, unless i'm missing something, he doesn't have them for the 044C only the 044.
I realise I could mod them but,I don't want to buy something and then mod it. I would just make my own in that case.

Thank you though.

Paul

Colaboy":2680739z said:
Thanks for that Thetyreman, I've heard very good things about them.
Unfortunately, unless i'm missing something, he doesn't have them for the 044C only the 044.
I realise I could mod them but,I don't want to buy something and then mod it. I would just make my own in that case.

Thank you though.

Paul

Hello,

The 044 blades have grooves in the back, and are different to the plain ones with a notch that fit the 044c. I wouldn't get those to modify. The earlier Records had blades specific to the models, which is why I originally said they were not compatible. The later 044c, 045c and 50c did have compatible blades. The plane ones with a notch, even if from a different manufacturer, can be notched in the right place with a bit of work with a Dremel.

Mike.

Edit again! Your pic shows an unmodified 044c. You can't use beading cutters with it, unless you have an additional skate.

Attachments

• Record-No-050-C-Improved-Combination-Plane-11.jpg
    Record-No-050-C-Improved-Combination-Plane-11.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,296
Good spot, Mike.

That does give another, cheap option. You could give up on using the beading cutters for beading and grind them straight across to use as plough cutters.

(If you think you might want to cut beadings with this plane it is possible to make an extra skate yourself - I did this years ago when one of these planes was all I had - but I would not really recommend it.)

Thanks for the info guys.

It shows how much I have to learn about these old hand tools. It took me a while to see how the plane would work. I can't even begin to imagine what the other skate would do.

Looks like I have a lot of research ahead of me.

Thanks gang.

Paul

Colaboy":2pjt45ji said:
Hi.

Paul

Ah, it was you! I was after that one...... Just wasn't around when the final bids needed to be in. Well done.

Just watch Ebay for some blades. There are often job lots.

I didn't realise the 044C is different, please ignore my original suggestion, mine is the older 044.

Back