Quirk Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
Following a fascinating previous posting I have picked up a Preston quirk router. It sounded an interesting tool and in the "flesh" is even more so. I have a basic idea of its function but would love to read up on how to use and sharpen it. I am particularly intrigued by the hollow grind of the blades. Does that mean it could be used across the grain?
Any information or references would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Simon

The only snippet of information I can offer is from the reprint of the 1909 catalogue. The description of the model 1388P, which uses the distinctive Preston irons, says this:

"This tool has one each 3/32 inch, 1/8 inch and 3/16 inch interchangeable cutting irons. These are fixed in position by means of a clip and thumbscrew .The irons are easily adjusted by means of the milled nut, which also acts as a stop, and prevents the cutting irons from being forced back when in use.

Two cutting teeth work in front of the cutter which is slightly narrower than the teeth, so that a clear quirk or groove is formed of one uniform size.

Three fences accompany the tool, one for straight and one each for outside and inside circular work."

The other models have briefer descriptions just noting the differences.

I'd be interested in how well it works - could you try some experiments, with and across the grain, with and without preliminary marking, and show us how it performs?

Thank you Andy. That's corrected my misconception as to how the blade works. I had guessed that the hollow or channel ground wing of the blade did all the work and the other limited the bite taken. But your extract points to the hollow ground part acting like the nicker iron on a dado plane, preceding the other that then takes out the quirk. Which makes more sense and seems like it will work across the grain.

Unfortunately I'm not back in the workshop for a week. But as soon as I get back I'll try it out and report. Also be interesting to check the thickness of the two wings of the blade.
Thanks again,
Simon

Saint Simon":39pf9e4t said:
Thank you Andy. That's corrected my misconception as to how the blade works. I had guessed that the hollow or channel ground wing of the blade did all the work and the other limited the bite taken. But your extract points to the hollow ground part acting like the nicker iron on a dado plane, preceding the other that then takes out the quirk. Which makes more sense and seems like it will work across the grain.

Unfortunately I'm not back in the workshop for a week. But as soon as I get back I'll try it out and report. Also be interesting to check the thickness of the two wings of the blade.
Thanks again,
Simon

A jennings auger bit has a very similar cutting action, albeit in a circle.

BugBear

I promised a quick word on the Preston quirk plane I bought recently.

My first impression is that it works, both with and across the grain but that it takes a little getting the hang of. I started by setting the cutter to take a very shallow cut and then gradually inched it further out. But I came to the conclusion that setting the cutter to a more substantial depth of quirk right from the start worked better. The base of the "plane" is convex which allows you to regulate the cut by rocking the base onto the leading edge first. This allows the nicker part of the blade to make good contact and cut fibres before the cutting part to comes into play. Then the plane can be allowed to rock back bit by bit until the set depth of cut is reached. And of course this rocking action allows you to start the cut in the middle of the board if desired, a sort of stopped groove.

I found it initially quite difficult to keep the plane tight against the fence but this improved with practise. In retrospect and looking at the photo above I think I should have been using the longer straight fence for the cuts I was making.

Anyway an interesting tool that whilst I have no immediate applications for, certainly adds another string to my bow.

Simon

so, forgive me for asking- I cant quite tell from the picture- what is a quirk? is it flat bottomed, and has a slight radius to the top edges?

My understanding is that a quirk moulding is one incorporating a small groove and that's what this tool produces. A small flat bottomed and straight sided groove of 3/32 inch, 1/8 inch or 3/16 inch width.
Simon

Back