Quick favour from someone with a Record #08 or #02 please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDennehy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, could I please be cheeky and ask anyone who has a Record #08 and/or a Record #02 to take a tape measure and measure the width of the body of them please? I'm finally building a till for the ones I have and I wanted to leave a space for those two (seems a shame to have all the ones in between and not have "complete the collection" as a goal for the car boot sales :D ), but while I have the body length, I can only find the width of the irons and I'd rather not guess the overall width (because I know I'd make a dog's breakfast of it).
Thanks!

Best of luck finding a 08 or a 02 at a car boot in Ireland Mark!

Record planes as a species seem rare enough here from what I've seen, at least down south. I don't think I've forgotten any and if that's right I've seen exactly two Record bench planes in the last few years of haunting car boots, both incomplete. One was a 05 made up into a Frankenplane with a Stanley lever cap and I think irons and the second a 04 missing the irons and lever cap that I bought in the (so far vain) hope of making it up into a working plane even if it meant turning it into another cross-breed.

That'd explain why most of mine have come from fleabay allright Ed, but I was daring to dream :D

ED65":2qjq0qcu said:
Best of luck finding a 08 or a 02 at a car boot in Ireland Mark!

Record planes as a species seem rare enough here from what I've seen, at least down south. I don't think I've forgotten any and if that's right I've seen exactly two Record bench planes in the last few years of haunting car boots, both incomplete. One was a 05 made up into a Frankenplane with a Stanley lever cap and I think irons and the second a 04 missing the irons and lever cap that I bought in the (so far vain) hope of making it up into a working plane even if it meant turning it into another cross-breed.

They're all on ebay now because people in the united states think they're something exotic!!

Same as the green hones and the marples chisels. I watched 5 sell in the UK by a seller who wouldn't open their sale to global shipping - 20 pounds. At the same time, a set of six later (undesirable) marples blue chips sold over here for $100 (about 80 pounds).

If it's record, norris or spiers, people will pay twice as much here as there. I bought a very clean record 8 from there last year for about 140 pounds or something (cost a lot by the time shipping was added), and a sorby 7 for a little more than that.

Can't think of anything that goes the other way where UK purchasers will pay more than US (and russians - as soon as it involves sharpening stones, russians are all over it).

Never saw a single record plane in the wild over here.

Paddy Roxburgh":sochxpl3 said:
D_W":sochxpl3 said:
Can't think of anything that goes the other way where UK purchasers will pay more than US

Any new tool

As long as the tool isn't made in the UK, you got me there. I wonder how much of the difference is just VAT.

Anything made in the UK is often cheaper just to order and pay overseas shipping.

*** Gloat Warning ***
MarkDennehy":nutijatz said:
Hi folks, could I please be cheeky and ask anyone who has a Record #08 and/or a Record #02 to take a tape measure and measure the width of the body of them please? ...
My Record No.08s (plural) are all 80mm wide, while my Stanley No.608 is 79mm wide. Lengths 606 to 608mm - except the Stanley 608 which is 611mm long.

I don't think the gloat warning extends to my Record No.02. It was in the background when I bought a bunch of woodies. It's got a broken wing, and no irons nor lever-cap. I didn't want the woodies, just the 02 (the seller said it wasn't really part of the auction, he was going to chuck the 02 in the bin :shock: ). Anyways, the 02 is 50mm wide and 194 long overall (sole is 186mm long).

Cheers, Vann.

Work in progress...

IMG_1060a.jpg

IMG_1062a.jpg

Note the spare slots on the left and right for the #08 and #02 - thanks for the measurements folks :)

(Yes, there's another slot there for a #05 as well. )

What about the 5 1/2 and the 4 1/2 :shock:
Can't leave those out I'm afraid.
I suspect you might all-ready own those ...why have you not made space for them?
edit
Just counted them correctly now
Bit of a ......This one here is small, those ones out there are faaaar awwaay, moment :D

Has all seen Cosman's new tool cabinet design ...what a mecca
Tom

Oh, it's sopping wet allright. I spent all of last weekend taking each and every plane and chisel off the wall, going over them with wet/dry paper and WD40 to remove surface rust, then cleaning them off and rubbing briwax into them (I've some of that renaissance wax ordered but it won't arrive till next week so briwax was the closest I had to paste wax). I really need to think about getting a dehumidifier, the little oil-filled rad isn't really getting it done - but that might be down to me not being able to run it 24/7.

The oil-filled rad is creating water vapour! It will actually make things worse (lots).

Case for electrickery I'm afraid. I use those tubular heaters under my big set of tool drawers.

[edit]Just realised that you meant one of those electric oil-filled things (not an oil heater!). Sorry.[/]

How does it create water vapour? It's supposed to be sealed and the idea was to keep the shed from dropping down towards 0C where all the water vapour in the shed condenses out on the coldest thing around (ie. the cast iron and steel in the tools).

Back