cleaning/refinishing an old table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachcricket

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been asked to give this give this table a bit of a clean and refinish and was hoping for some advice on how to clean, prep and refinish it. The table is in very good condition apart from some water marks which I understand can be removed with toothpaste?

CIMG4307.jpg

CIMG4308.jpg

A nasty drinks mark
CIMG4309.jpg

A few more marks scattered across the top.
CIMG4310.jpg

Legs are in good condition apart from right at the top, where they have a little wear.

Anyway, I'd very much appreciate any advice or guidance.
Thank you
David

There's a sticky post in the hand tools section about cleaning up old wooden tools. It describes how to make a 'reviver' mixture which is also effective on many sorts of old neglected furniture. I'd give it a go.

It won't remove that scorch mark and is less extreme than the hard-work option of stripping off back to bare wood and applying a whole new finish. Reviver can leave a piece looking its age, but nicely worn in, like your most comfortable shoes.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums...t-4-general-cleaning-with-reviver-t64945.html

Your table looks like oak, so don't use the usual wire wool, or you can end up with black marks from a chemical reaction between iron and oak. Instead, use a nylon scouring pad, like you use for washing up.

Check out the English polisher on Youtube, he has a lot if good videos on how to refinish furniture and makes it look so easy.

Back