Are these Dust/Chip Extractors Any Good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
Need a chip extractor for planer/thicknesser and I see these different makes of these bucket-style extractors which seem rather compact. Anyone have any reviews about these units and can suggest which ones are decent? and are they powerful enough to suck all the chips from P/T while its working?

I have no idea what I need to look for when buying one,however I know for sure I don't really have much $ to buy it, Thought I will be able to run the planer/thicknesser without one ,however how wrong was i...
HA1000.jpg

If you just want to collect chips then you need circa 350cfm. If you want the fine dust as well then you probably need double say 700cfm. The Scheppach does 180m3/h or 108cfm. Even if you said 250cfm is needed after allowing for the margin of sales puff and loss through the tubing you will be about a third of what is needed. Also the drum is not large you will be emptying it all the time and then breathing in what you have just collected.

damn..and I already thought that it was already end of throwing away $ when buying the planer :(
Well at least thanks a lot for giving me the figures I need to look for when buying it.
Seems like at least 150pounds are needed to buy something entry-level which can handle that planer?

marcros":1c4z28e0 said:
you may be able to pick up a bag type chip collector secondhand. and wear a mask for the dust in the short term.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Record-Power- ... 1c5a8f7fb9 for example

i am not sure what power you would need, but with a short run of ducting you may be ok.

Probably that's the route I'm going If I can find something local... Not worried about the dust as wearing a mask while working most of the time anyway ,just need to get the job done and get the chips collected so the P/T can continue running.

Counterpoint: I have the SIP version of one of those extractors, and that very P/T, and it works acceptably well for me (as a hobbyist). A couple of times the hose has got clogged and I've had to free it up, but the only serious problem is having to empty the damn thing every five minutes.

I got one of those, looks identical but another brand (typical china manufacture), new for 50 euros. I wouldn't pay more than that for it after having used it. The stiff hose broke in multiple places in a few months, had to buy a new, better one.

DennisCA":1kducpbi said:
I got one of those, looks identical but another brand (typical china manufacture), new for 50 euros. I wouldn't pay more than that for it after having used it. The stiff hose broke in multiple places in a few months, had to buy a new, better one.
wouldn't really want to pay more than that for it myself..looks cheap have no idea why they charge almost 100pounds for that stuff here.
but at least is yours able to cope with Planer/thicknesser and suck all the chips out while working?

I got mine for a special price from some guy who wanted to sell his, I dunno how he'd gotten it, he ran a woodworking shop and said he'd gotten the wrong extractor so I said I'd offer 40 if I could pick it up right now, so back & forth and 50 it was. I was surprised it was unused when I got there.

Checked afterwards and saw the new price in stores where 150 euros.

I have it hooked up mostly to my bandsaw, it barely keeps up with my table saw, too weak, I don't have a proper setup for my planer to extract anything, yet.

I bought the Record RSDE/2 fine filter extractor and am pretty pleased with it. Only thing I'd say negative about it, is the castors - very unstable. I think it's around the £200 mark.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/fi ... he60stzPvU

I wouldn't be without the thing and I'm just a DIY'r now. I was coughing up a lung after a day at the router - ok my dust mask was sh*t, but I was still picking wood filler out my nostrils at night.

Also, it's brilliant for cleaning up your workshop.

I have heard of folk using old Hendry hoovers, but it's all down to what you want and how safe you want your working environment. Like previous posts, you really need the fine particulate filters, especially if you're working with composite sheeting like MDF for example. The materials are bonded together with synthetic resin glues that commonly use urea-formaldehyde based binder. Not good for the lungs old chap.

EDIT - I've just read that the levels of free formaldehyde in boards made within the EU at levels of formaldehyde class E1 are thought to be insignificant.

I'd still buy the extractor though!

Jonny

Hi, my tuppence worth:

In my limited experience the main issue with P/T chip clearance is air volume. You need to shift a lot of volume to keep the planer blades and workpiece clear of shavings, especially in thicknesser mode.

I tried a single bag type extractor (the one Rutlands sell for about £99) and tbh it wasn't man enough. So I bit the bullet and bought one of thesehttp://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-fm300sa-extractor, which sadly now appears to be discontinued. But for the vastly discounted price I paid (£185), a truly excellent bit of kit for the job. However it is rather large!

Now my P/T is a bit bigger than yours (Record PT320) but I think the principle of moving masses of air (in this case 3000 CuM/Hr) rather than worrying about fine filtration or other issues is prob the overriding factor. Just MHO.

HTH,

Cheers

Andrew

PS if anyone local is interested in the Rutlands single bag unit (used once), shout please as I need the space!

marcros":f5lyvyrk said:
you may be able to pick up a bag type chip collector secondhand. and wear a mask for the dust in the short term.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Record-Power- ... 1c5a8f7fb9 for example

i am not sure what power you would need, but with a short run of ducting you may be ok.

small update, I actually ended up buying the extractor in that link, the exact same one In that auction. So thanks for that link!
Just got it today and well it seems really decent, it's the Record Power cx2600

But honestly I'm a bit confused why the f do they charge 180pounds new for that extractor? All there is that is a small motor and a plastic case , it honestly looks like it have costed them like 25quid Max to make it and they are selling it for 180...wtf.. the 52pounds I paid for it would have been a good price for when it was new as well!
I can't even imagine what I would have received If I would have bought those small garbage-bin type ones :lol:

Back