SDS Max / large SDS Plus Recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

What do you suggest?

I already own a 2kg SDS which is good for light work, plus a large breaker for, well, breaking :roll: but I will require something in the 6kg-9kg range.

We've just bought a house which needs quite a bit of renovation work doing to it, including hacking off the walls (inside and out).

Cheers,
Mark

Forgot to mention that the ability to diamond core drill with the SDS would be very useful, too.

Or would a dedicated diamond core drill be best? I've heard it puts a lot of strain on the SDS chuck.

Hi Mark. I bought a dedicated Makita core drill a while ago and sold it after one use as the clutch slipped more than the drill span. It was pretty useless. I used to use a 4" core drill a lot for work and still do occasionally. I used one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d25033 ... 240v/9062g which did the job but struggled. It died eventually so I bought a new one for smaller stuff and one of these for the big core drilling stuff http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb279s ... 240v/55660 I've only used it once. It's heavy but it was effortless with a 4" core drill. EDIT For plaster removal and general chiselling work the first drill here works well.

Hacking plaster off wall with a 6kg-9kg machine is going to be knackering! I used a Makita Supermac 4kg SDS for our build and found it up to most jobs. Certainly way more oomph than my 2kg machine. I used it for breaking down concrete and granite also drilling through 600mm thick granite walls but not with a core drill haha. A combo of drilling and chiseling will get through most things. For hacking lighter stuff off walls an air hammer is lovely and light and leaves the motor (compressor) on the floor. I did not use or desire anything bigger apart from breaking up the old concrete floor which required a mini digger and a pecker. Good luck with the renovations.

Edit. Just remembered that when buying there was a big variation in KJ impact power for machines of a given weight. I bought a Bosch 4kg machine and sent it back as it had no more power when chiseling than my 2 kg AEG. The Makita at that time had the most impact power for a 4 kg SDS.

Remember what these things would cost to hire when justifying their purchase - quite often about three weeks hire will pay for a tool. (Not of the same quality as the hire tool, maybe, but adequate nevertheless.) This is useful for persuading swmbo of the necessity.

Thanks for the replies so far; much appreciated.

My 2kg SDS is perfect for light jobs (chasing walls and drilling) but I'll definitely need another drill with more heft.

The weight's not really an issue; though I agree that 9kg would be unnecessarily big, considering I already own a proper breaker.

I've got the Bosch multi drill which is in the 4-5kg range and I use it for all of the things you mentioned (cores, chiselling, drilling and breaking). It's an absolute peach of a machine (made in Germany) and if I had to replace I wouldn't look for anything else. It's not cheap mind.

Woody2Shoes":1ohrulsy said:
I got a Screwfix cheapo for hacking off cement render, breaking up shed bases and the like. It's not sleek and pretty but it seems prefectly solidly made and does the job just fine - it also comes with a useful selection of "pointy bits".

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb571s ... 240v/15458

----edited to fix link!

Cheers, W2S

I know of two others who bought these little gems!
Excellent VFM, tough, and do their job really well
Regards Rodders

I bought the 5kg titan drill linked to when I moved into my current property - an 1850's cottage with solid walls and more modern extensions. So far I've used it to remove plaster from the lounge, core drill up to 125mm through 6" block cavity walls, knock through both cavity walls and a 360mm solid brick wall, on a 140mm mixing paddle for mortar, plaster and concrete and stacks of masonry drilling jobs. It's performed faultlessly, and a friend who bought the same product and broke it after over a year of abuse went back to buy another mentioned it to the checkout guy in passing - they found his receipt on their system and replaced free of charge without even promoting as it has a 2 year guarantee. Can't say fairer than that! For extreme breaking tasks you might want something heavier and with a big core drill you need to take it steady as the clutch does slip a bit, but persevere and it does the job.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back