Converting HDMI to SCART RGB

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear in mind that you can't legally go from HDMI to analogue if the content runs HDCP (the content protection on Blu-rays and similar). Most of the converters won't deal with HDCP content, and the ones that do aren't legal. Unlikely that you'll get caught but the devices can be disabled through the revocation list that's included on new releases.

You may also find that the HDMI device can't output a low enough resolution for a SCART RGB input to accept. What do you need to connect to what?

Wildman...thanks for the links but the converter only supplies composite - not RGB

Sporky ... Was looking to replace our Humax Freeview box with their latest offering but that only gives HDMI output. Our plasma screen only has RGB in.

I think you may be out of luck - the new Humax boxes do assert HDCP. There are HDCP strippers out there - you're not doing anything morally wrong after all - but you also need to convert to the right flavour of RGB and possibly scale the output. What model is your screen?

Much as I love my plasma and hate the idea of throwing out something that works, it may be more economical to buy a new screen with Freesat built in.

It's a Sony KZ-32TS1E.

It does have one component input (currently in use for the DVD player) but a way forward.

I've since bought a Manhattan one to play around with as it's got Youview, BBC iPlayer etc. TBH I'm not sure just how much we'd make use of these since we're pretty well organised re recording schedules and rarely (if ever) feel the need to use iPlayer. Still, for £44 it's a no-brainer!

From a quick Google (and some day-job knowledge) I think you're pretty much stuffed I'm afraid.

The screen's native resolution is a rather unusual 1024x852, so even if we found a way of making HDCP unimportant (which is a non-trivial task) you'd also need a scaler as the new Freeview box will very likely be restricted to two output resolutions; either 1280x720 or 1920x1080, both of which are above your screen's native resolution.

Given that it's got to be about 10 years old I think your simplest and least expensive option is to buy a new telly.

Sporky McGuffin":v9m37i8j said:
From a quick Google (and some day-job knowledge) I think you're pretty much stuffed I'm afraid.

The screen's native resolution is a rather unusual 1024x852, so even if we found a way of making HDCP unimportant (which is a non-trivial task) you'd also need a scaler as the new Freeview box will very likely be restricted to two output resolutions; either 1280x720 or 1920x1080, both of which are above your screen's native resolution.

Given that it's got to be about 10 years old I think your simplest and least expensive option is to buy a new telly.

Much appreciated input, thanks. I'd never even thought about screen resolution being an issue.

There are plenty of scalers that'll do the conversion, but the good ones aren't cheap and the cheap ones aren't (generally) good, especially with non-standard resolutions.

Back