Sorby RS3000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Being a relative newcomer to turning I've never come across a Sorby RS3000 before today. It's an ornamental turning attachment (similar to machine/rose turning by the looks of it) which is something I'd quite like to have a try at.

Anyone own or owned one of these?, or seen one before?, or know how much they were new?, or how long ago they were made? Absolutely any info on them would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil.

I think it first saw the light of day in the March 1996 issue of Woodturning.
Not sure where you could obtain one though, or how much you would have to pay for one.
It certainly wouldn't be out of date though, when you consider the now regarded father of ornamental turning John Jacob Holtzapffel
He sold his first Rose engine lathe in this country in June 1795, and they are still to this day regarded as the last word in ornamental turning machines. (and worth a fortune if you can find one).

John. B

Thanks guys.

Seems they were on sale approx. 1996-1998, around the £450 mark. The inventor appears to be working on a MK VII version at the moment and will sell it via his website only. Have dropped him a line.

Cheers,

Neil.

Hi Neil

If you are still interested in a Sorby RS3000 Ornamental Turning device I have one for sale in Woodbridge Suffolk. It is hardly used and in its original box.

Regards

Eric

Bocote":197u57gx said:
Hi Neil

If you are still interested in a Sorby RS3000 Ornamental Turning device I have one for sale in Woodbridge Suffolk. It is hardly used and in its original box.

Regards

Eric

Did you happen to note the original post date Eric? 2009, we have all done it before :D (homer)

Back