Quick cheap name stamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
The classier tool makers on this forum have probably all got a proper name stamp, from a proper expert like the people at Chalco. That's a good thing and I'm certainly not knocking it. But what do you do if you know you will only ever make one or two things that are worth marking? I've used individual letters from a set before, but they don't look great.

So I was interested when I came across this video recently - https://youtu.be/OT-SRGH2wD4 which demonstrated that you can make a stamp in brass, using marking letters, and it will be hard enough to work on end grain wood. In the video, DavidW stresses how important it is to get hold of 'reverse letters' if you want to do this, but if you are lucky enough to have symmetrical initials, then you don't have that problem!* You do need to reverse the order of the letters.

What you need to do is to get a suitable bit of scrap brass, mark the end deeply with the letter stamps and file a zigzag border around them.

Here are a few pictures of how I went about it. I decided that the important thing is to get the letters closely spaced and lined up together so I made a very simple jig from some scrap wood.

IMG_4167_zpsswsahita.jpg

A shallow housing holds a letter straight, with a bit of wood to keep it in place. Below it is the piece of brass, in a wider recess. Two shims of wood wedge it in place. The width of these is the same as the visual width of the letters, in this case 3/16". (The body of the letters is 1/4" so just clamping three letters side by side would give spacing which is too wide.)

The idea is that you set it up like this, mark the first letter, then move the shims across to give the next position

IMG_4169_zps1gtetgdm.jpg

Here it is, ready to hit the middle letter:

IMG_4168_zpscrwi06gj.jpg

The jig does make it possible to have more than one hit, and still get a nice clear impression. I found that the M needed more effort than the simpler, sharper T, but the jig holds it lined up well enough for you to hit it several times.

IMG_4170_zpso3vixbco.jpg

Having got the letters in place, I marked around by eye with a pen

IMG_4171_zpsuymzozrw.jpg

and filed notches, joining up to make a zig-zag border

IMG_4172_zpsdj3uni5x.jpg

The more fastidious forum members can make these precise and regular; I just wanted to have a go and see if it worked at all.

It did!

This is the result on some unidentified pink hardwood

IMG_4174_zpsxvn3lilx.jpg

on beech

IMG_4176_zpsiknthfpo.jpg

and on spruce

IMG_4177_zpsxbz0akaa.jpg

I was quite pleased by this, even though looking at the pictures blown up on screen, I clearly need to get the spacing closer still.

I think I will make another, with a bit more care, and make it longer - this one was only an inch, and was a bit difficult to hold in place to hit it. I resorted to holding it in an engineer's clamp which was ok but not great.

Actually, I've just remembered that people have already said on here that they got better results by tightening down in a vice or similar, rather than hammering. I don't have a fly press but I reckon I can improvise something...

Anyway, I thought the idea was worth passing on.

* I suppose you could do a puzzling fake eighteenth century version of MOXON which would be 80% right, with just the N reversed, but I'm not advocating that!

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

An even cheaper option if you don't own any letter stamps mirrored or otherwise would be to make your stamp without letters and pop it along to your local trophy shop and they should be happy to oblige for a price, providing they have the right gear. Make sure the local kids have started the long summer holidays before you ask, it can be cray just before they break up.

ttfn,
Carl former engraver at a trophy shop.

Nice idea there Carl - I've noticed that even the capital A is not as symmetrical as it might be!

These fresh pics show the much better result from a good squeeze in a sash cramp, on the unknown pink wood

IMG_4180_zpsnmq6tybr.jpg

and on the beech (bottom one only)

IMG_4178_zpsvnzptrgt.jpg

- both much crisper.

Cool, I bought some letter stamps the other day and have been trying to line them up by hand but am always short a third hand

Very nice result, and a handy jig. Surprising that a hammer blow is less effective than clamping, maybe something to do with time under pressure crushing the fibers more effectively.

Very good. Always enjoy seeing the detail of your posts showing the process.

Unfortunately for me, unless I change my name by depol I will definitely fall victim to my non symmetrical initials!

Rather a good result. I have some letter stamps and my initials (TH) would work OK. I have got a stamp from Chalco, but a stamp with just initials would be good for smaller work. Does it take a very hard whack with a hammer to make a mark ? My Chalco stamp seems to produce the crispest result if given a good old whack with a lump hammer !

It is annoying that these letter stamps unfortunately don't always seem to line up precisely if aligned by the body - I used some to stamp on the angles on some dovetail gauges I made. I though that clamping a bit of bar on as an alignment aid would make a neat result - my set are quite erratic and I ended up having to do them by eye.

Tony

Yes it worked with a hammer as shown in the first pictures but because I used such a short piece of brass it was hard to hold it well enough to hit it properly. I reckon if it was about 2" long it would be ok. I reckon that the zigzag border means you can accurately reposition the stamp for a second bash.

I agree about the erratic line up of the letters on the bodies. The T on mine does not match the position of the A and M.

I'm sure an alternative design of jig could cope with that.

Incidentally I have now also tried the stamp on softwood side grain by squeezing it in a metalworking vice and it was nice and clear.

I just realised my surname will work if I turn the Ds and E upside down.

Pete

AndyT":rohgjr0l said:
The classier tool makers on this forum have probably all got a proper name stamp, from a proper expert like the people at Chalco......
A really classy tool maker would his own entirely!
The letters aren't difficult - you make up some suitable punches for bits of letters by filing the ends of nails and other scraps of steel and then emboss the end of your brass stamp.
Or you simply file and punch the brass freehand leaving the stamp letters in relief (as per some headstones etc) - reversed when you apply it to the wood.
Doesn't have to conform to a typeface. A lot of early stuff had obviously hand made name plates with their own irregular style of lettering.
I know this from a previous existence when we were making leather goods and I got relegated to filing bits of metal into pattern stamps and letters.

Racers":3leo8fee said:
I just realised my surname will work if I turn the Ds and E upside down.

Pete

Of course! That extends the range of useful letters a bit! So the sufficiently symmetrical ordinary letters are:

ABCDEHIKMOTUVWXY

With numbers

It even works for IACOB if you spell it the old way with I for J!

And if you do want to start from scratch there is the comfort of knowing that brass is hard enough while easier to work.

Jacob, there is a strong tradition of punched decoration on leather in Spain and Portugal. The TATHS newsletter has run some articles about people doing what you describe.

Back