When is a gavel not a gavel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
Some time ago I posted a request for advice as to how I could help my Son-in-Law make a gavel and base to commemorate his Dad and thank you to all for replied.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/gavel-base-t87488.html
For a variety of reasons, blamed mainly on the privatisation of RAF Search & Rescue, he hasn't had time to make his gavel & base and so I thought I'd mock something up to give him some encouragement and at least sort out a design.
Well a gavel is a gavel isn't it? Well no actually.
I made the gavel and posted him a picture and that was exactly what he wanted - result! It was only when I posted a picture of the base as well, that he seemed perplexed. To cut a long story short, many moons ago he had suggested me making him a "knocking in" mallet for his cricket bats and he thought the gavel was his "knocking in" mallet. Despite being the only thing likely to hit his bats, I had thought I'd talked him out of this, but evidently not.
So I now have: -
IMG_1278.JPG

It was only when I somewhat narkily asked him what exactly he did want(!), did he explain and post a Google image.
Now I view this as a mallet, akin to carving mallet but certainly not mason's maul (as shown if you Google Masonic gavel /maul) but that is what his lodge uses and they call it a Masonic Gavel so......
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG

The idea is for a commemorative plaque to go between the supports and the "gavel" to bang on the base.
The head is English oak, the base European oak and the handles and support ash. Finish is Osmo satin.
So now you know, a gavel can be a gavel, a mallet and even a maul!

Attachments

• IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 717
Back