Removing 3-in-1 oil from unfinished elm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I was oiling the hinges on one of our doors and to my surprise and vexation the hinge ejected some of the oil as I worked the door back and forth. It eneded up over a small elm (unfinished) door that hides the mains stopcock.

'Oh bother' said I. Or words to that effect as I filled up the swear box.

Options?

Start again?

Wait a while so the oil dries and then maybe try blotting paper and a hot iron to draw out most of it? or would the iron drive the oil in further.?

Wait a while until the oil dries and then scrape and sand and hope it hasn't gone in too deep ?

None of the above will work though it will fade a bit as it dries.
If it still shows just oil the rest of it to match - raw linseed half n half with turps brushed on thin and wiped off.

Fullers Earth will remove the oil but the timber has to be horizontal as you will need to pile a 1/4" of it over the stain and leave it for several days to absorb all the oil. On one heavily oil soaked piece I worked on it took three weeks to take all of the oil out but it left a clean and dry surface in the end, you just have to be patient with it.

mrpercysnodgrass":1b4i11v9 said:
Fullers Earth will remove the oil but the timber has to be horizontal as you will need to pile a 1/4" of it over the stain and leave it for several days to absorb all the oil. On one heavily oil soaked piece I worked on it took three weeks to take all of the oil out but it left a clean and dry surface in the end, you just have to be patient with it.

Brilliant idea, thanks, Paul. Any idea where I can it locally or is eBay the best bet?

I would try nail varnish remover (acetone) ..gently. I also wouldn't leave the 3-1 too long lest it dry off. Best wishes.

You can get it from Amazon, £5.00 for half a kilo. I always keep a jar of it under the kitchen sink, it also is really good at taking out oil stains from clothing and on one occasion a pair of suede shoes.

mrpercysnodgrass":1rgmwfho said:
You can get it from Amazon, £5.00 for half a kilo. I always keep a jar of it under the kitchen sink, it also is really good at taking out oil stains from clothing and on one occasion a pair of suede shoes.

Thanks, Paul. Will try it out.

Back