Incra I box finger-joint jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my eye on the Incra I finger joint jig.......I cant post link to it yet as i've not enuf posts..i will try link later but

Handy for what i intend to do. And please dont say .."make ur own"...just too fiddly.
I would be interested to see what others think of it. Plus does the mitre bar on the jig fit all standard router tables?..it says so...so i guess it must.
Ohh dam it i 'll come out with the truth.....I'm ashamed to say that i bought a cheap Chinese made Dakota powered router table. Its full title being the magnificant (DK2080). I wanted to make small boxes with box joints...i searched for a finger joint jig online and saw that the best on offer was the Incra i box......a bit pricey ...but seems a versatile jig. Now I'm worried the Mitre track on the "magnificant" DK2080 wont take the mitre bar of the Incra.
I saw somthing online about a shopsmith version of mitres slots/bars for the Incra i box..but i dont understand it. So did anyone get the jig and how did it go for u if so. Oh and please dont say "Build ur own router table that will take the mitre bar if the Incra" I'm just not good enuf......yet!

i know that you say that you dont want to make your own, but it wouldnt be that fiddly. this is a pretty simple version.

as for the incra- without looking but i do have some of their other stuff. Likely to be expensive, but it will be very well made, and will do what it is designed to. When you compare it with other stuff, then it probably does more that the competitors versions. it will probably be adjustable in every dimension required, and extremely accurate if set up correctly.

I know what you say is rite macros...there is no denying that the likes of Incra and Leigh make quality stuff...but sometimes with Leigh especially u have to go to considerable expense for the initial set up and then be constraint by only been able to use their accessories. I just want a simple jig that fits onto my cheapo router table that can make box joints.....no going down the road of templates, expensive jigs etc.
This incra i box ...if u follow the link...has the benefit of been able to set the size of the finger...with the micro adjuster...god they got me sold already! well i think it can ...maybe somebody out there might have one and can tell me.....
Also i would'nt want to buy the incra i box until i know for sure it fits my router table.
How did u find operating incra system macros....any initial problems...and what did u make with them. Wolud be glad to know.

i dont have the system. i have a mitre gauge, a couple of the rules and a square. i have looked at the hinge maker a few times, but i dont think i would se it enough to make it pay.

Thanks Charlie for the advice..I saw the i box on the website £159.95!!!!.I'll give Peter a ring tomorrow after the Bank Holiday weekend...I'll let u know hopw i got on.

I concur with the comments above.

I also own Incra kit (although not an i-box) and it is very well made. I've also bought from Peter in the past and service is spot on.

I think u can use the i box on both the tablesaw and router table.......well in the States anyways u can use a dado blade on ur tablesaw for making finger joints. Here in Europe , the powers that be, wont allow us to use dadoes as they are deemed too unsafe and all tablesaw are made here with short arbors that don't accomodate a dado blade. So u CAN use the Incra jig on a tablesaw ONLY if u purchased ur tablesaw from the States.
So as a result the i box can only be used on our router tables here. I have to watched a few demos online with the i box..special spiral bits/cutters are the norm for making fingers...they prevent breakout apparently. So although the i box jig is adjustable in setting the size of the box joint from 3-18mm....just think of the expense of buying seperate spiral cutters with diameters to do the whole range from 3-18. I went online...and boy...those spiral cutters have a big price tag.
So its a case of unless u are making a lot of boxes or fingers joints ..is it worth the expense....i have to think about it and work it out for myself if im getting value for it.

seanfarrell":3srs1zmq said:
So u CAN use the Incra jig on a tablesaw ONLY if u purchased ur tablesaw from the States.
So as a result the i box can only be used on our router tables here.

Sean, that is not true.

I, and many others on this forum, have an Xcalibur tablesaw from Woodford and it comes with a 5/8" long arbor suitable for mounting a dado stack. There are other issues with dado stacks, such as braking times and guarding, but dado stacks per se are not illegal, they are not banned and you can use them on a TS.

Just not in the way that you see many US users on YT operating them.....

I know you don't want to make your own jig, but just out of interest you might want to see how I made mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKEB-BIq9qI

Hello,

The Excalibur saws were primarily designed for the North American market, so what Sean says is essentially true. Since the European standard is 30mm blade arbours, it is unlikely anyone can use the jig on a TS here. Steve, your saw is the exception that proves the rule. Although dado stacks are not in themselves illegal, the use of them in industry will in essence be illegal, since making partial thicknes cuts is pretty much outlawed. Technically, it might be possible to guard and provide anti kick back measures to use a dado, that will comply with the laws, but unlikely to be convenient enough to make the use of the dado worthwhile. Home woodworkers do not have such legislation to comply with, but in reality, the infra jig is a router table jig in this country. In fact, I bought one the other day, and it seems excellent, EXCEPT there was a manufacturing fault on mine, which I'm waiting to have rectified. It will work with standard 2 flute bits, spiral ones are not necessary, Just to answer your query on this issue above.

When I get the replacement, I will give a little review of the jig. I would say to the OP however, the guide will only run in a standard 3/4 in mitre slot, so no use for your router table, if this is not the case. It might be possible to make a replacement guide, since it simply bolts on. However, I think the jig would be less accurate for it ( the adjusters for removing the slop would be lost) and using it in a cheap router table would be like dressing for dinner at Macdonalds! Perhaps you should make a router table with the correct slots and more powerful motor first.

Mike.

Woodbrains u make sense when u say i'm better off making my own router table up to accomadate the i box jig...so ,after the expense of buying all the bells and whistles for my homemade router table with the i box jig ,I'll be treating the missus to a slap up MacDonalds meal instead of the usual restaurant for a while to come....it'll be worth it in the end......I'll add a pair of ear protectors to my basket when i,m ordering the lot......is there anyone out there who can suggest a pair that has IWNSE(Irritating Wife Nagging Sound Elimination)capabilities.

Back