A Fine Pair .... of special saws from Shane Skelton !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FestoolFishy

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently received a fine pair of Skelton saws
The dovetail and carcass came very well packaged in cardboard boxes and wrapped in rust preventive paper

These are certainly elegant thing’s of beauty, the use of brass and rosewood complement each other very well, and although I loved the finish I did want something different and after much discussion
I am very pleased with the aged patina look that Shane achieved !!
Not everybody’s cup of tea but just what I hoped for !!

The attention to detail is second to none, with all pieces being hand made, these saws are very special, feeling great in the hand, a little heavier than others I own but I think this makes the saw glide and cut effortlessly.

We should be thankful that Shane, clearly a very skilled person is making such fine saws entirely by hand in England, showing his commitment and pride by
using the family crest as the medallion.

Thanks must also go to Jaq “The Sawmakers Wife” who I know does a lot of work behind the scenes.

Sadly neither my photos or dovetails are up to standard rest assured I will keep trying !! Love Bern's dovetail templates

Thanks everybody for your thoughts during the pass around

Fishy

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpeg
    IMG_1424.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,804
  • IMG_1428.jpeg
    IMG_1428.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,804
  • IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 1,804
  • IMG_1473.jpeg
    IMG_1473.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,804
Hi Fishy
I had heard rumours of someone wanting a pair of aged looking saws from Shane . Not a look that i would go for myself to be honest but still very jealous as i still haven't managed to purchase one yet. :mrgreen: Thanks for the kind comments on the dovetails , with these lovely saws and a bit of practice you'll soon have them mastered.
Good luck and have fun
Cheers Bern :D

I am sure you will be very happy with them. I have only tried mine once since getting it as I have been too busy with other projects. I am looking forward to really getting to grips with it in the next few weeks though.

Mr_P":1gdeezhv said:
Someone posted a link here last night to some gun blue / metal dye.

It reminded me of the kind of thing Bill Carter uses to ages his planes.

Scroll down to the bottom:
http://www.billcarterwoodworkingplanema ... uk/12.html

What's going on with that tenon saw ? Might just be a shadow/reflection.

Hi Mr P. That was me. http://www.magnumsports.com.au/product. ... ctid=16712

I have used this product in the past to add an aged patina to some backsaws.

I would have used a different technique to the one chosen by Shane to patina the handle wood, but that's his call.

regards Stewie;

Whilst chatting with Shane I mentioned this plane and sent him this pic

I think my pics of the saws make them look quite dull compared to Shane's pics

Cheers
Peter

Attachments

• b plane.jpg
    b plane.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,516
  • IMG_3154.jpeg
    IMG_3154.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,516
  • IMG_3158.jpeg
    IMG_3158.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,516
That's an interesting plane and good looking too. Please can you tell us about it?

rxh
the plane is made by Ron Brese in America check out Brese planes for more info and feast your eyes on more beautiful planes and super exotic woods used

Latest posts

Back