Tool week at Lidl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought that plunge saw a couple of years or so ago and it still works great - it is indeed very handy for quick sheet cuts and such (much simpler than a honking great circular saw), it also comes with a stone blade and a thin sawblade (not carbide tipped). I made a blade offset distance jig for it with inner and outer edge markers and I get perfect cuts every time. I'd buy another for sure.

Thanks Graham,

I've been after a cheap and cheerful dremel type grinder for ages and that one fits the bill.

I bought the parkside belt sander a few years ago and its still going strong.

When helping out a friend, he had a small plunge saw, very similar some time ago.
A brilliant little saw and easy to use, as said by Rafe perfect for ply and sheet cutting.
Regards Rodders

I could have used a cheap arc welder, but from what I've read the absolute cheapest are transformers, and not inverters which convert the AC into DC. DC is apparently way better for welding according to everyone I've talked to.

Now I've used their angle grinder many times since I bought it and I think it's quite good.

e: Not sure about the term transformers for english welders, some googling tells me they might be a DC type. In swedish terms they tend to refer to the cheapest AC welding machines.

I'll go for one of those little saws I think. If only used occasionally it's worth having aound.

DennisCA":1nck8pfw said:
I could have used a cheap arc welder, but from what I've read the absolute cheapest are transformers, and not inverters which convert the AC into DC. DC is apparently way better for welding according to everyone I've talked to.

Now I've used their angle grinder many times since I bought it and I think it's quite good.

e: Not sure about the term transformers for english welders, some googling tells me they might be a DC type. In swedish terms they tend to refer to the cheapest AC welding machines.

Looks like a standard variable iron type AC welder, the big knob on the front moves a chunk of metal into the transformer core allowing it to produce more current.

Pete

rafezetter":2oc8r0rg said:
I bought that plunge saw a couple of years or so ago and it still works great - it is indeed very handy for quick sheet cuts and such (much simpler than a honking great circular saw), it also comes with a stone blade and a thin sawblade (not carbide tipped). I made a blade offset distance jig for it with inner and outer edge markers and I get perfect cuts every time. I'd buy another for sure.

Raf. Have you tried to buy replacement blades at all?

Graham Orm":24do351d said:
Raf. Have you tried to buy replacement blades at all?

I'm pretty sure I've seen packs of replacement blades in Lidl, roughly concurrent with the tools themselves. Also, while I don't have this particular one and therefore can't vouch for it, other Lidl tools I've bought have had a page in the back of the manual with details for ordering spares and consumables.

I thought that the problem with cheap welding transformers was the low power resulting in limited thickness they can weld, which makes them almost useless.
Any comments?

Brian

Just returned with my £20 Dremel type thingy, thanks Graham.

Time will tell if its any good.

They still had a few Parkside cross cut mitre saw (sliding) left for £80 inc 3 year warranty.

Looked a lot better than my cheapo but also a lot bigger, I resisted temptation.

finneyb":1duu9c4w said:
I thought that the problem with cheap welding transformers was the low power resulting in limited thickness they can weld, which makes them almost useless.
Any comments?

Brian

The problem with cheap welders is the non skilled amateur wally attached to it.... in my case that's me! I've got a basic qualification in MMA and while my welding is get-away-able at best, the instructor on my course proved the point by welding with an expensive inverter and a cheapo Clarke toy (the same model as mine) and both welds were perfect. You could not tell one from the other.

I can weld 6mm with my arc and my mig. For home welding it would be rare to need to go thicker than this.

Mr_P":34ho0nu7 said:
Just returned with my £20 Dremel type thingy, thanks Graham.
Time will tell if its any good.
They do the job.
Be careful to allow the drill to completely stop before trying to engage the shaft lock when changing bits though.

Oh and keep the receipt in case of problems. Lidl will just give a refund if it fails as long as you have the receipt.

I purchased one of the Lidl plunge saws and made a clamp to go in the fence slot to use with my Fesstool plunge equipment guide rail. Great for small jobs & very accurate.
Richard

The usual problem with cheap welders is not welding thick stuff - you can always make several runs. But try and weld something thin, and either the arc won't strike or you end up with a good simulation of a coarse sieve because it blows holes in the metal. Mind you, as Doorframe says, it's also down to the guy holding it - can happily blow holes with my nice old Oxford oil-cooled jobby.

Back