At last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
At last the book is all done. It has been in the hands of my son for what seems an age now and when he explained the technical challenges to me I was amazed and completely lost in it all. Firstly the software he installed in my computer to write the book was American so when he took it away he had to read all 16 chapters and convert to the English way of spelling. After that he had to work on all the photographs, and there are lots of them.

My son has changed the title as well. it's now called, The Scroll Saw, From learning to selling. It has now been submitted to i tunes and must be approved by them and then it will be available from the i tunes store. Normally it takes 24 hours for approval but can take longer. After the dust has settled my son will need to convert the book from it's present format to some other software so it can be available for the kindle and available from Amazon.

I must admit that i don't understand all the technical stuff my son has bombarded me with as I only have a basic computer knowledge but baring any unforseen difficulties it should be available within a few days I would imagine but I will post updates as and when they happen.

Getting there Geoff. =D>

The computer part of the process does sound very complicated, and like yourself I have little computer knowledge.

I am very easily confused/scared off, anything computer based. :shock:
Typing into the forum is about my limit. It’s just not for my generation #-o

Take care.

Chris R.

Hullo Geoff,

Good news, and thanks to you and your son for all the work that was clearly involved. I hope it sells very well. With that thought in mind I checked on Amazon yesterday but your book does not yet appear to be available. Any idea on a publication date at Amazon please?

And harking back to an original "conversation" on this Forum, although I shall be more than happy to buy a copy for my Kindle, in common with several others I believe, I would also like a hard copy version. Rather than go to all the costs and time involved in printing and binding from your side, I would be more than happy to buy a version in some electronic format that I can print and bind myself - e.g. .pdf format. But as discussed back then, I do appreciate that a .pdf leaves you wide open to piracy, so I wonder if you/your son have discussed a safe way around this problem?

My Kindle is an old, non touch screen version and although it is possible to expand views of individual photos or diagrams, the process is very clumsy and inconvenient so I would far rather have a hard copy book to take into the workshop.

I would welcome any thoughts/comments you/your son care to make on this topic.

Thanks in advance

Krgds
AES

Hi Alex.

To be honest I feel like abandoning the whole thing, it's been nothing but a giant headache, especially for my son. We did launch the book a few weeks ago on i tunes, it even got to the stage where they asked me to sign a contract and asked for my bank details. but then my son said they had put it on a free download, the reason for this was that it was unreadable. The format we had used for it was the one format that i tunes don't accept. so basically my son had to convert it to another piece of software, which in turn meant re[processing all the photos, of which there are a lot. He is almost done now but as he said, having done it several times already it is a monotonous exercise and he can only work on it on Sundays so hopefully any day now. Then it will be launched on Amazon forest and then i tunes. After that there will be a kindle version and then it will be published in book form. How long all of this will take I can only guess at as it is no longer in my hands. Ask me anything to do with wood and I will give you an answer, ask me anything about computer technology and I am lost. My son has written 2 books on the subject and I have a copy of each but reading them is meaningless to me.

Hullo Geoff,

Thanks for the prompt reply (if it was for me - the A in AES is Andy btw, not that it matters that much).

I sympathise with the frustrations you and your son are experiencing - like you I'm pretty useless with computers (and not very clued-up on wood either, come to that)!

There's absolutely no hurry of course, and if the book will eventually be available in print then I guess I'll wait for that thanks.

It's just that having now taken the plunge and invested in a "proper" scroll saw (I'll be posting some info on that here soon-ish) I thought it would be nice to have your book beside me now I've started "playing properly".

I've seen from Amazon that there are already several scroll saw books available, and a friend just bought me an annual sub to the US mag "Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts" in which I also see several ads for books, so while I'm awaiting your "work of the master" 8) is there any particular title (hard copy print) that you - or any other Forum member - would particularly recommend please?

AES

Sorry Andy. I had it in my head your name was Alex. I have round about 100 scroll saw books on my computer, all PDF. many deal with one type of scroll saw work such as box making, clocks, dinosaurs, Christmas decorations and so on. Other books are generalised in that they deal with a variety of projects from very simple to quite complex and almost all the books have an opening chapter on the basics of scroll saw work. This information is quite limited but you get an insight into what a scroll saw can do, how it works and a tiny bit about blades.

Most of the books are dated and very American but I find them useful from time to time if I need a particular type of pattern that I can work on by changing some bits of it ot adding other things. I cannot put my finger on any one book and say this will be perfect for you because there are so many aspects of scroll saw work and we all have out own ideas on what we want to make and how we will go about it.

The problem we have in the UK is that the scroll saw does not get the recognition that it deserves. There are no clubs or associations. There are no magazines. Wood is always a problem for many people and much of what individuals learn is by trial and error. The best thing going for the newcommer to scroll sawing here in the UK is this forum. In America it's a whole different ball game. There they have many associations and clubs. There are shops dedicated to scroll saw work and supplies. You can visit a store and buy many different types of wood all planed up and ready to be used. In America they have many different scroll saws available to suit every pocket. Their craft fairs are huge events, often lasting many days.

In my book I have addressed in depth all the problems we face and how to get round them. Where to get wood, how to prepare it for scroll saw work and an in-depth chapter on wood finishing. There is a chapter on workshop equipment and what we need and don't need and a chapter on blades, altogether there are 16 chapters covering everything the new commer to scroll sawing is likely to come across. Unlike other books it is solely dedicated to scroll sawing in the UK and I feel that those taking up the hobby for the first time will avoid many of the mistakes i made when I first started as there was no forums then, no computers, no mobile phones.

"when I first started as there was no forums then, no computers, no mobile phones." and no electricity Geoff LOL 9-) looking forward to seeing your book as i need as much help as possible.
Cheers
Brian

Hullo again Geoff. No problem about the name (I've been called a lot worse than Alex in my time!).

Thanks for your long explanation. Just as you say, these days, what with the Internet, and especially with this Forum, there's a lot of info out there, and I've already learnt a lot, especially from UKW. It's just that I'd find it useful to have a book (or two) to look at - in bed and in the cellar for example.

But another member here has contacted me direct and offered to burn me a CD with several .pdfs he's culled from several mags and books. It was member bodgerbaz actually, and as I remarked to him this morning, I never fail to be amazed at the simple generosity of many members here, so here's a public thanks a lot baz - a I've been member of several other similar groups but UKW is certainly exemplary in the general openness and helpfulness of so many of the members.

Thanks for your offer Geoff, I'll wait and see what I get from baz and come back again if I need something else and in the meantime, good luck to you and your son with your book.

All the best

AES

@claymore,

As you'll see from my reply to Chippygeoff, I shall be receiving some .pdfs from another member shortly, and have already collected some of my own, together with several Youtube links to scroll saw stuff I've found useful.

So if there's any info you particularly want just post your wishes here or send me a PM and I'll happily pass on whatever I've collected that you'd like.

Just for info, my particular scroll saw interests seem to be developing towards kids toys and the occasional "adult speciality" (NO, not those sorts of adult items!!!!), but for example I have a mate who is a senior engineer on the NATO AWACS squadron in Germany and using one of Mike Good's free plans I aim to customise that to make a desk stand/plaque for this coming Christmas in 2 contrasting woods - I'll post pix when it's done, but don't hold your breath, Christmas is a long way off).

I also have some sort of wooden clock clagging around in the back of my mind, but that'll be MUCH later.

Krgds
AES

AES":15x4pmkf said:
is there any particular title (hard copy print) that you - or any other Forum member - would particularly recommend please?

AES

The first scroll saw book I ever bought was Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman ISBN 0806947705, I learned more from this book than any book before or since, IMHO it is the 'bible' for scrollsawers.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scroll-Saw-Hand ... +saw+books
The book is now out of print but second hand copies can be had from around £3.

The new version is equally good but can be expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-New-Scroll- ... b_title_bk

I do have pdfs of various scrollsaw books but do much prefer the printed version, I simply hate reading on a screen.

Thanks scrimper, I've just ordered a copy of the SH (old version) book. Just under 2 quid, can't be bad eh?

Will let the (membership) "jury" know what I think after it arrives, but it sounds just the job.

Krgds
AES

AES":1h3rwww7 said:
Thanks scrimper, I've just ordered a copy of the SH (old version) book. Just under 2 quid, can't be bad eh?

Will let the (membership) "jury" know what I think after it arrives, but it sounds just the job.

Krgds
AES

The book was first published in 1986 but everything in it is fully pertinent today. £2 is a bargain, most magazines cost more than that. I know that you will find it invaluable and worth every penny.

Back