Painted Cabinet Door Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFA

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after some advice on painting kitchen cabinet doors and some specific products.

I've built a new set of shaker style doors with beech frames and MRMDF pannles.

We have a lot of leftover Farrow and Ball paint that we would like the doors to be painted in. I also have some leftover Morrells 440 Acid CAT laquer lefteover from a project that I was thinking of top coating the doors with.

I've been given some advice to undercoat the doors with Morrells 2K white primer, then spray on the painted colour then spray on the laquer.

Does this process sound like it will produce a good result for a medium shine door (the 440 is 50%semi gloss).

I do have access to paint sprayer and spray booth.

Thanks very much

So 2k Primer Farrow and ball color then 2k topcoat?

I wouldn't hold out for much of a good bond between he 2k primer and the farrow and ball.... the 2k is an very hard paint and the farrow and ball will not adhere properly. I was recommended the precat primer if doing something supplied in primer... its a bit softer for the following coats to adhere.

I wouldnt like to do 2k over the f&b either.. itll probably melt it?

I think you'll be okay, best to try a sample of the process first.
If the 2k primer has been prepped properly anything will stick. I would go for a 800g thorough sanding of the primer, if the colour coat has got good build to it then possibly 600g.
What is the basis/make up of the FB, solvent or water based?
Does the 2k primer have any wet on wet capability? If it does the bond between it and the colour coat will be excellent.
As for the lacquer over the FB, again try it out first. If the FB is completely dried, then de-nibbed I don't see a problem.
I've personally lacquered using 2k over emulsion, masonry paint, household gloss, water based gloss, solvent wood stains and water based wood stains without problems.
I will add the 2k I use is automotive lacquer, usually Lesonal or Max Meyer.
I've always done a spray out card first and evaluated the outcome, adjusted the process where necessary and gone for it.

Latest posts

Back