Turning Chisel, what is it called and what is it used for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luapsnoki

Reaction score
Hi, first post and help requested.
I've just acquired 2 turning chisels (or at least I think they are :))
They're 22" long overall, handle 11" +3/4" brass ferule, made by Ashley Iles Ltd.
Blade is 1 1/4" X 1/4" section with short edges rounded.
The cutting end is at right angles , i.e. ___________
/|
/ |
Sort of like: _________/__
But the grind is sort of diagonal, i.e. on each face a triangle is ground away
and when viewed end on the blade / sharp edge is diagonal across the 1 1/4" X 1/4" section
Sort of like:
| /|
| / |
|/ |
As I said, I have 2 of these, one where the diagonal blade is top right to bottom left, the other is top left to bottom right
If you rotate the above diagram by 180 degrees you will see it stays the same
So I guess these are left and right hand versions of whatever they are.

Can you tell me what they are and what they're used for?

A photograph would be far better at conveying the form. You can upload to the forum and upload help is available at the top of the section page.

Hope these OK to show details

Attachments

• Turnung Chisel end detail.jpg
    Turnung Chisel end detail.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,202
  • Turning Chisel end view.jpg
    Turning Chisel end view.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,202
  • Turning Chisel Overall.jpg
    Turning Chisel Overall.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,202
It looks to me like the previous owner has ground on their own angle. It is neither a square scraper nor a skew but somewhere in the middle. I have never seen one like it and I can't offer a suggestion as to what it's use may be.

Cheers
Craig

I would say they are user modified skew chisels, as though they were trying to use them for planning cuts using tool rest as prime support rather than bevel rubbing prime support.

Hi Folks, Many thanks, impressed by the prompt responses to a newbies query.
Think I'll send pics to Ashley Iles, if they're still going.
I'll update thread if they come up with anything.
Thanks again.

Ashley iles are still going (strongly) but what are you going to ask? They wouldn't have left the factory looking like that!

aye...don't waste your time asking AI. There's no way that's a factory grind. It's either a screwed up skew or as Chas says a deliberate attempt to home grind an easier means of making a particular kind of cut.

I haven't done any work on my lathe for ages, but I was wondering if the skew ground chisel above may be some
ones attempt at lessening breakout in shoulder cuts, as it surely goes from cutting to scraping over it's width.
Regards Rodders

I do very little turning, but I have seen and I'm sure I even ground one of my own skew chisels like this as a way of avoiding the vulnerable point of the conventional shape.

Hi all,
Thanks again for inputs.
I just sent AI the pics and asked the same questions - no reply yet.
But if a screwed up Skew, someone went to an awful lot of trouble to create both left and right hand versions!
Why the comment about tang? Not yet a turner myself but hoping to when I retire, so would be grateful for explanation.

luapsnoki":17dr5omq said:
Why the comment about tang? Not yet a turner myself but hoping to when I retire, so would be grateful for explanation.

Tools with a tang fitting in the handle are a potential problem if used in such a manner as is likely to cause a 'catch'. such as end grain work or tackling a knot causing the tool to dig in and snatch, the tang is likely to at best bend, at worst snap off and the remnant of the tool find a resting place somewhere in your torso.

Don't dismiss this as a self modified tool. It looks exactly like the grind which I posted about in 2005.
Back then it was suggested that it was a "Buckingham skew". Unfortunately I no longer have the original photo but it looked just like yours.

It was a terrible tool but as suggested I reground it. Mine was carbon steel and the rounded edges make it a fantastic shear scraper. I still use it regularly.

Back