New tyre for BS300 band saw: urethane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I've just changed a blade on my Record BS300 and noticed that the bottom tyre has started to split. Better get a replacement then.

I've never fitted a new tyre, and the safest option for a replacement would obviously be a spare from Record. However, I have found adverts for urethane tyres for the BS300.

Anyone got thoughts as to whether that's worth the risk? I.e. are they better?

One of my tyres broke and the saw blade came off my BS 250, with a fair old bang, (That woke me up)!
I bought a set of urethane tyres from the states last year,(Fleabay) Easy to fit and very good end result.
I find, most rubber used in machines today seems to rot and fall apart quite quickly.
So a one time fix it would seem, with a timeless replacement guarentee!
Regards Rodders

I read on an earlier thread that tyres sould not be mixed and its best to repace both if one needs changing. Never having had this problem, I don't know if this is correct Best to check with Record for advice perhaps?

Thanks for the feedback. The urethane generally come in packs of 2 so that makes sense I guess. I do feel a bit more nervous about ripping off the tire that's good but I guess I've got to replace one so you might as well just do it.

I only noticed the problem last night so attempted to measure the depth of the recess in the rim and it looks like 3 millimetres (but that could be wrong as it was pretty dark when I did it).

Based on that information a seller on ebay recommended this tire: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271842760094

He didn't comment on my question about the difference between the silver aluminium wheel and the black cast iron, so I don't know if the same tire would work for both (I have the silver). I'll talk with Record tomorrow.

I don't really understand why you would need to replace both. Each wheel would be balanced with its tyre.

marcros":2zx80r1v said:
I don't really understand why you would need to replace both. Each wheel would be balanced with its tyre.

By only changing the one you may have different compounds which could theoretically alter the running characteristics of the saw when you apply the correct tension

Sploo, The link you have provided is the same people that I dealt with in September 2013 when they sent mine.
As my wheels are smaller the cost, then, was £18.93 and £6.75 post,
I would say he knows his bandsaw Tyres, Mine were spot on!
The original only seem to last about 4, or 5 years.
Regards Rodders

Gary at bandsaw tire warehouse knows his stuff, he custom made me some for my Wadkin a while ago and they are good.
When I first fitted them they did creep a bit so I spot glued them on.

Merlin

After looking at the Americans on u tube fitting tyres on their bandsaw's,
I probably should have mentioned that the tyres come with a simple tool, and instructions, that makes the fiddly process very much easier,
Just soak the tyre in tap hot water, for a couple minutes, not boiled in a kettle, and slip it on using the tool, which also evens up the tension of the newly fitted tyre when it's on the wheel,
Otherwise the ones seen fitted on u tube were fitted just by heaving and stretching the tyre on one side.
Regards Rodders

Rodders, Merlin - thanks, and good to know.

I've exchanged a couple of emails with him and he seems to know what he's talking about. Quick to respond too; kinda reminds me of Ian at Tuffsaws, which is a good omen.

I've checked the wheel in better light and I think the rim recess is actually only 2mm, which would make their 0.095" tyre the right choice. He seems the think the crowning on the BS300 is cast into the wheel, so a flat tyre is fine. I'll try to confirm with Record (due to the two types of wheel) but I suspect I might take the plunge on the urethane.

Well that's strange - I spoke with Record this morning, and they were clear that the wheel is flat and the crowning comes from the rubber tyre (and they don't offer a urethane replacement).

Obviously I can't confirm or deny that until I take the wheel and old tyre off - at which point I need a new tyre as the machine would obviously be out of action.

I've ordered a tyre from Record and will take it from there. If the crowning is present on the wheel then I might still try urethane as a punt.

A quick update: I received the replacement tyre from Record - it's flat, which means there surely must be crowning on the wheel. Unstretched, the tyre was 3mm thick, so after another brief chat with Gary I've bought a pair of the MAX ULTRA DUTY 0.125" thick tyres and they're currently in transit.

I've not needed to use the bandsaw for a couple of days so I can wait until they arrive (i.e. I'm not going to attempt to fit the Record tyre in the meantime).

Back