16 inch S and J backsaw (with a curly handle)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarddownunder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've been hunting for the elusive Curly-handled backsaw (inspired by Jacob's comments) and found a couple of Spear and Jackson backsaws, one with a curly-ish handle. One is 16 inch 12 tpi and the other 12 inch 14 tpi. The reason I'm posting this (apart from a gloat, if it is in fact gloat-worthy) is I'm not entirely sure what you do with a 16 inch backsaw, apart from polish it. I think it may have been intended as a sashsaw for window making, but I'm only guessing, not knowing much about such things.

After cross-cut sharpening as best I can (I used a triangular needle file not a proper saw-sharpening file as the new Bacho one I have seemed too big and started to chip anyway) it cuts well, well, they both do. Infact the 12 inch saw, although not especially pretty, cuts very well (BTW, what brand of file do folk use for sharpening small teeth, I couldn't find a decent fine file locally).

Anyway, just interested in the original use of such a big saw, if it indeed had a specific use. It certainly has some heft.

A few pictures after the customary refurbishment ( a bit of 400 grit emery followed by Autosol, stripped and oiled handle etc ...
SJ1.JPG
SJ2.JPG

And no, I didn't cut the railway sleepers with it. Used a chainsaw for that!
Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• SJ1.JPG
    SJ1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 876
  • SJ2.JPG
    SJ2.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 876
That's a handsome saw. It's a bit small for a miter box, but could be that. Otherwise, something for sawing out jointery, or carcase work.

'Sash saw' is a pretty accurate description for a 16" backsaw, though 12TPI is finer than usual - normally they're about 8 - 10 TPI. Used by joiners (US - trim carpenters) for tenon work. They're rather large and cumbersome for cabinet work. Popular in the 19th century, but less so in the 20th as machines did almost all commercial morticing and tenoning. Enjoying a slight resurgence now; several bespoke sawmakers offer them.

It's a nice saw by a respected manufacturer, and it looks in very good condition. Definitely gloatworthy.....

Thanks, I'll gloat then 8) . To be honest, I didn't put much thought into its use when I got it. It just looked like it had potential to be a nice example of a large backsaw. As mentioned, I got another S&J brass-backed 12 inch 14 tpi tenon at the same time. It cuts beautifully and was a 5 min job to sharpen (as opposd to a couple of hours with the larger saw as it kept pulling to one side). I have clearly got a bit to learn on the sharpening front.

Cheers
Richard

Back