Dust mask recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a fair bit of my cutting soon. I do value my lungs, so any recommendations on dust masks please?

Edit: test.

3m 7500, very comfortable for long periods and dependent on filters will cover all you'll need in your workshop (dust and vapour).

Another for the 3M 7500. It is light weight, comfortable and not too sweaty when whering it for long periods.

3m 4251 is good as well. Used it for woodworking, Stihl sawing, grinding etc. and it was good for 12 months before I considered it past is best. The best thing about both of these masks is that they don't steam you goggles up so you're not tempted to remove one or the other to carry on working.

Another recommendation for the 3M 7500. I find it superb and very comfortable to wear. Good prices are available on e-bay. I paid about £15 if I remember correctly.

Another vote for the 3M 7500, the downward exhaust port is a great feature when you're wearing specs, and the filters are reasonably priced when you consider the alternatives (i.e. a premature death from a preventable respiratory disease)

There seems to be a wide array of filters for the 3m 7500 mask, what do you guys use and if pertinent for which tasks?

Mark what are you going to be cutting? Wood or metal? If your cutting lots of wood then I recommend using a proper dust extraction setup. With the right setup you shouldn't really need to wear a mask in the first place. Efficient dust extraction needn't cost the Earth (about 200 quid will be enough) and you can recoup your outlay by selling the sawdust you produce to pet owners/pet shops etc.
I've just got mine sorted out...I use a Scheppach ha1000 1100 Watt, 100mm hose, extractor, which filters down to 0.3 microns, with 50mm bore hoses running through an Omni ICE Cyclone that sits on a blue plastic 150 litre chemical drum. Works like a charm!
20150415_1754371_zpslr8lywow.jpg

If you are looking at dust extraction read Bill Penz website carefully and then do the maths.

Alf Beharie":2o63s1uk said:
Mark what are you going to be cutting? Wood or metal? If your cutting lots of wood then I recommend using a proper dust extraction setup. With the right setup you shouldn't really need to wear a mask in the first place. Efficient dust extraction needn't cost the Earth (about 200 quid will be enough) and you can recoup your outlay by selling the sawdust you produce to pet owners/pet shops etc.
I've just got mine sorted out...I use a Scheppach ha1000 1100 Watt, 100mm hose, extractor, which filters down to 0.3 microns, with 50mm bore hoses running through an Omni ICE Cyclone that sits on a blue plastic 150 litre chemical drum. Works like a charm!
20150415_1754371_zpslr8lywow.jpg
I was thinking of a similar set up and had actually thought of using the same type of drum. They keep coming up local on gumtree.
Never thought of selling the sawdust though.

Hi,

I have a JSP PowerCap IP, think it cost about £200, but it works really well. I have had it for nearly 6 years now, used it almost every day and the battery is still great.
George

Trend Air ACE it'll make you feel like Darth Vader... :D

Also the Moldex 8000 series...a range of cartridges for various applications P2, P3 vapour and chemical etc...

May the (vac) force be with you - Jim (boom tish!)

Back