Burdekin Plum - large tenon saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Work has begun on a new tenon saw. The handle wood this time is Burdekin Plum. The saw plate is 0.025 gauge; 18 inches L x 3.5 inches D below the brass back.

The basic shape of the handle, with the saw bolt assemblies installed.

Housing of the handle to the saw blade assembly has been completed.

Further shaping to the handle has also started.

Stewie;

Hi Giuliano. Burdekin Plum is a heavy and dense timber, but it can be worked to a very smooth finish during shaping.

regards Stewie;

Another beauty from the Swagman Stable :lol:
Looks like a solid lump of timber for that handle, love it =D>

swagman":3umy7bzi said:
Hi nolegs. Do you think 18 inches is long enough. (hammer)

Stewie I reckon that would be one mighty saw to use :lol:
There wouldn't be much you couldn't tackle with that, need a good arm to push the pipper though :D

What an excellent saw build that is!
As Sid Keats said to his little brother John, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever"
In Awe, Rodders

There is not much left to do on this backsaw before is fully complete.

The handle has received its final coat of amber shellac. I allow 5 - 7 days for the shellac to harden before buffing the surface to a shine.

The profiled edge on the brass back has been filed by hand, then hand sanded to a brush finish.

Shaping of the saw teeth has also commenced. 10 tpi; 10 degree rake; rip profile.

Stewie;

The saw teeth have been sharpened 10 tpi, at 10 degree rake angle, rip profile.

Being rip tooth, does that imply this backsaw wont work well on crosscut grain . You be the judge.

For those interested, the weight of this backsaw is 0.825kg or 1.8 ibs

Stewie;

For those that have read my thread on the use of a machine vise to fine tune the tooth set, 4 layers of masking tape on each jaw was used for this backsaw.

Stewie;

As a general rule, where the saw plate exceeds 0.025 gauge, I do recommend the use of fleam on a backsaw that's dedicated for cross cut work.

Stewie;

Thanks Paul. Changing the subject slightly. I purchased a very nice block of featured Australian Jarrah the other day. Measures 22" x 6 1/2" x 3 1/2". I am looking forward to using it on future traditional tool making projects.

Stewie;

So how much would I expect to pay for such a beautiful hand made saw?

The quality of tools made by the people here never fails to amaze me!

Chris

Back