I love Classic British wooden Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac445ab

Established Member
Reaction score
I like their simple design and sturdy body.
I just built this 70 cm jointer.
Wood is beech, construction is in 4 pieces. Wengè strike button.
Sorry, I haven't WIP pics.

2d6p56c.jpg

aeqmat.jpg

With a standard 22" jointer, my model :wink:

oirhoo.jpg

Ciao
Giuliano :D

Lovely! That is one long wooden Plane. The longest that I own is an old Plane at only 45 cm's, it's fantastic at what it does best: removing material fast. I love them all: British, continental (horn handled) and Japanese.

That's a difficult challenge, but you've done a beautiful job, I salute your craftsmanship.

=D>

Beautiful job Giuliano!

I'm sure it will serve you well (and in all probability another dozen or so people after you).

Is there an Italian equivalent?

Beautiful planes :)

I must admit I'm a bit confused as you've referred to both as jointers. Is 22" the standard size for a jointer, and 70cm is an extra long jointer?

Thank you all for appreciating my work :D
Italian style isn't represented in plane making.
Our carpenters and cabinet makers very often self-built their tools and the planemaker, except rare cases, was quite a unknown trade. The planes I have seen are similar to French planes. Here is a link to the only evidence of Italian planemaking I found:
http://woodworkingbyhand2.blogspot.it/2 ... akers.html

DTR":287fvc4s said:
Beautiful planes :)

I must admit I'm a bit confused as you've referred to both as jointers. Is 22" the standard size for a jointer, and 70cm is an extra long jointer?

I think so, I don't known well English terms but I would say 22" is a common size for a jointer or trying plane. Bigger ones are long jointers. Or may be someone can correct me :roll:

Some other planes I made:

moving fillister
24xm91h.jpg

smoother
14w95dk.jpg

rebate
159iyg.jpg

jack
apkb5z.jpg

Ciao

ac445ab":pc68ybgv said:

2d6p56c.jpg

aeqmat.jpg

oirhoo.jpg

Ciao

Hi Giuliano

Beautiful planes.

I am curious about a feature of the design, which is the handle placed at the rear. This seems to be a mark of European/German style planes. British vintage planes place the handle well forward ...

jmh_patplane.jpg

Here is an ECE for comparison ...

535-0701-lg.jpg

I am curious how this works for you - I once made a jointer with the handle further back, and I found it had less control than when I mvdd the handle forward. Of course, ECE and others have been doing it a while, so they must do something different.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ac445ab":3l66zjsz said:

2d6p56c.jpg

aeqmat.jpg

oirhoo.jpg

Ciao

Hi Giuliano

Beautiful planes.

I am curious about a feature of the design, which is the handle placed at the rear. This seems to be a mark of European/German style planes. British vintage planes place the handle well forward ...

jmh_patplane.jpg

Here is an ECE for comparison ...

535-0701-lg.jpg

I am curious how this works for you - I once made a jointer with the handle further back, and I found it had less control than when I mvdd the handle forward. Of course, ECE and others have been doing it a while, so they must do something different.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I Derek,
Thanks for this your thinking about the position of rear handle. Is a good point.
I have a couple of wooden jointers more and all have the rear handle a little bit further back. However on the net I have seen several examples of jointer planes which have their handle nearer in respect to the blade.
Here is a pic showing a group of them

35211n6.jpg

For me isn't a big problem: I am 187 cm tall, with long arms so I can have a good control.
I noted in the photo of the old British jointer you showed, the portion of body behind the mouth is particulary long if compared to the mine or the other continentals. Makes this sense?

Ciao

jmh_patplane.jpg

35211n6.jpg

The biggest difference seems to be placement of the cutting edge along the length. Distance from handle to iron is 'fairly' similar.

swb58":3sib276z said:
Those look like much longer planes. From what I've seen, a more typical British 560mm/22inch plane would have the mouth about a third front the front and the handle about halfway between the mouth and rear of the plane, eg:

plane.JPG

Attachments

• plane.JPG
    plane.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,594

Latest posts

Back