Replacement for LS 1040

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
My trusty Makita LS 1040 expired suddenly this morning.

I bought it in late 2000 and have used it almost daily since, so can't complain.

I haven't had a chance to investigate yet, it may be repairable, but if it's not, what do you guys suggest as a replacement.

I would like something with similar or slightly larger footprint.

I don't usually cut anything bigger than 150 mm by 38 mm but a little extra capacity would do no harm.

I posted this earlier, perhaps in the wrong area, I didn't get any comments.

Since then I have had a go at troubleshooting it, without success I might add.

Considering it's age and the work it has done I see no reason to spend on a professional repair.

Has anyone any views on the Metabo KGS 254 M or anything else the would replace or slightly move up from it.?

Last year I picked up a Makita LS1018 and it has been flawless. Rock solid, very accurate and great capacity. Would definitely recommend.

I wonder would you mind, next time you are close to the saw, measuring the distance from the fence to the furthest rear part. My bench is not too wide.

Also does the dust catcher catch much.?

I'll measure it for you but it does have quite a large rear overhang. Dust collection is ok but better if you hook it up to a shop vac.

Hi Artie

Don't forget the Metabo and the LS1018 are both slide mitre saws - so the back end pushes back further than your fixed head LS1040. I suffered from the same problem and put my slider on a moveable section of bench to pull it away from the wall.

My Festool Kapex KS120 is fixed at the rear, might be more than you want to spent, but it is a superb bit of kit.

Having done vast amounts of research I'd strongly recommend the dewalt sliding compound mitre saws, they are the best for a number of reasons. Particularly important is how easy to adjust/setup the saw, the festool despite being far more expensive is much more difficult to adjust/setup accurately. I would go for the 10 inch xps version unless you need the extra capacity of the 12 inch

Adam9453":2wdxci3c said:
Having done vast amounts of research I'd strongly recommend the dewalt sliding compound mitre saws, they are the best for a number of reasons. Particularly important is how easy to adjust/setup the saw, the festool despite being far more expensive is much more difficult to adjust/setup accurately. I would go for the 10 inch xps version unless you need the extra capacity of the 12 inch

I would go for a DeWalt every time - but didn't want to influence your decision :wink:

Adam9453":2ti7tlw1 said:
Having done vast amounts of research I'd strongly recommend the dewalt sliding compound mitre saws,

Does that include the

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-dws778 ... 40v-p64259

as mentioned by Paul200. I am short on bench space.

I was intending to spend around £250. But will spend more if justified.

The ryobi I mentioned above doesn't get much comment. On paper it suits my needs but would it last and are parts available.? That's the question.?

artie":v8ddh4j0 said:
The ryobi I mentioned above doesn't get much comment. On paper it suits my needs but would it last and are parts available.? That's the question.?

Until about 2 years ago I sold tools for a living. I'm not totally up with the game now but back then I wouldn't sell Ryobi to you even if you paid me up front. They caused too much trouble after the sale - if you know what I mean. Until about 10/15 years ago Ryobi made serious, reasonable quality, hard-wearing machines but they seem to have lost the plot since then. Like I say, I've been out of that particular rat race for 2 years and I could be talking complete rubbish now, but I would say there's a strong possibility that you could be buying yourself a bit of trouble.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else has anything to say on this because as a retailer the only worthwhile feedback I ever got was from end-users and, to be honest, I would really like to be proved wrong because they did once make some serious kit that you could rely on.

Paul200":2qj63quu said:
Until about 10/15 years ago Ryobi made serious, reasonable quality, hard-wearing machines but they seem to have lost the plot since then.

Thanks for that, I am getting the same story regarding Makita.

I have been using Dewalt drills for a while and may go for the Dewalt 10 inch saw.

Most places are closed for a few days now so time to peruse and make up my mind.

artie":zfncpxuh said:
Adam9453":zfncpxuh said:
Having done vast amounts of research I'd strongly recommend the dewalt sliding compound mitre saws,

Does that include the

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-dws778 ... 40v-p64259

as mentioned by Paul200. I am short on bench space.

I was intending to spend around £250. But will spend more if justified.

I understand your predicament but a sliding compound mitre saw is infinitely more useful than a fixed saw. As others have mentioned you could mount the saw on a sliding table section so you can pull it out to use it and push it back when not in use. If it were me, I'd buy the dewalt stand to go with it as they're very solid and easy to fold down for storage.
A lot of the difference between the cheaper saws and the likes of the more expensive dewalt, makita etc are the accuracy of cuts. If you are doing rough work where accuracy is less of a problem then one of the cheaper makita's would be my choice. If it's got to be accurate then as I say it's got to be the dewalt and a careful setting up before use. I hope that helps

artie":33gxfw40 said:
Paul200":33gxfw40 said:
Until about 10/15 years ago Ryobi made serious, reasonable quality, hard-wearing machines but they seem to have lost the plot since then.

Thanks for that, I am getting the same story regarding Makita.

I have been using Dewalt drills for a while and may go for the Dewalt 10 inch saw.

Most places are closed for a few days now so time to peruse and make up my mind.

Interesting about Makita - I was starting to have my doubts a couple of years ago. Nothing specific - just a feeling you get when you're listening to people. It would be a real shame if they start getting it wrong because I built my business on the strength of that brand (and before everyone and his wife jumped on the bandwagon :( ).

Hopefully you'll get a bit more feedback on here before you have to decide but with your space limitations you really don't have a vast choice - which is helpful :wink: Of course, you could just buy another LS1040 - it's an older design so won't be compromised by any 'cost cutting' Makita may be up to. Just a thought.

Adam9453":10dcr8kh said:
I understand your predicament but a sliding compound mitre saw is infinitely more useful than a fixed saw. As others have mentioned you could mount the saw on a sliding table section so you can pull it out to use it and push it back when not in use. If it were me, I'd buy the dewalt stand to go with it as they're very solid and easy to fold down for storage.
A lot of the difference between the cheaper saws and the likes of the more expensive dewalt, makita etc are the accuracy of cuts. If you are doing rough work where accuracy is less of a problem then one of the cheaper makita's would be my choice. If it's got to be accurate then as I say it's got to be the dewalt and a careful setting up before use. I hope that helps

Thanks for your input guys, I know it is difficult, My shop is set up for doing mostly the same things over and over with a little variation just to keep boredom to a minimum. :)

The saw is already moveable left to right so I can cut longer lengths, occasionally. If I moved it forward it would be too close to the bench, which is used at the same time. So to save redesigning the shop I have decided to buy a saw which will fit the space available. I have 18.5 inches from the fence to the wall, I can increase that an inch or three if necessary.

Paul200":10dcr8kh said:
you could just buy another LS1040 - it's an older design so won't be compromised by any 'cost cutting' Makita may be up to.

I could and it would be good enough for me, but I have decided to get a slider with laser and if it lasts half as long as the 1040 it will take me to pension age. :(

One positive thing I was feeling bold this evening and dismantled the old 1040 and found out the problem, It has come apart where the live input connects to the brush mount, so will be repairable.
I will keep it for a spare. The armature is well worn but it is very clean inside and the bearings are fine.

I measured my LS1018 and it is 2' from the front of the fence to the back of the sliding bar retainer with the saw pushed all the way through. Like I said it has quite an overhang but the capacity and accuracy of the machine is superb. It will cut a board 12" long and handle stock just under 4" tall with no bother and repeatable bob on angles every time :eek:ccasion5:

Thanks memzy, I should have asked you for the measurement from fence to foremost part as well.

Fence to wall would be taking up 5 1/2 inches more than my old set up. That would entail major bench mod, but not totally out of the question.

Happy to help artie. From the front of the fence to the front of the mounting foot it is 8". When the saw is set up for square cuts the locking handle protrudes a further 9 1/2" further out. When I am not using it I lock it down at 63 degrees right (which other saws in the same class can't do) and that brings the handle flush with the foot.

It's definitely is not the smallest saw in this category but given the accuracy, capacity and robustness of it if I had to replace it for the same money I'd definitely buy another. FYI when I bought mine FFX had by far the best price.

Back