The future?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Why cut wood and make joints when you can "just" grow furniture?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... -the-joins

“When you look at it from a manufacturing point of view and from a design point of view, it actually makes total sense. Why would you grow trees, chop them down with all the faff?"

Mind you...

"With the 400 pieces of furniture growing, there are about 4,000 shoots that need to be managed and guided. This leaves a huge logistical operation for Munro and his team in a sometimes frustrating process ..."

Sounds like a "faff" in its own right.

"The first solid chairs will be sold for £2,500..."

I think you're buying an idea more than a chair.

"people who are looking for a unique art piece"

That figures.

BugBear

I quite like the idea. I know some Japanese adze helves are grown info the shape required. I've seen a fair few stools and chairs made using natural forms - I'm thinking of some of Gudrun Leitz pieces, amongst others.

"Why would you grow trees, chop them down with all the faff? Why don’t you just grow the shape you want"

"The first solid chairs will be sold for £2,500"

I think I can see why. And bespoke orders might take rather a long time to grow ! Also, whilst they are just the ticket for a hobbit house, they are not everyone's style.

This site looks informative (and has more links)

http://www.grown-furniture.co.uk/index.html

But even his simple stool takes a fair but of work.

Simple shapes have been grown for years; I suppose the best known is growing
the handle of a walking stick (although I can't remember wether you grow the handle
onto the stick or the stick onto the handle).

And ships knees are picked from shapes that have happened naturally.

BugBear

Must say, that chair doesn't look very comfortable but it's an interesting idea.

We have just come home from a a week caravanning in Belper (a few miles from Wirksworth) so I wish I had read this earlier; it would have been interesting to go have a look.

regards

Brian

Back