Plane Socks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody2Shoes

Impressive Member
Reaction score
Waste of money or essential protection against rust etc.?

Do you use them?

Interested to know, W2S

I've got a couple. They come in useful when you're travelling with your tools but that's the only time I use them.

I think oiling the planes after using them is a more effective rust preventative.

I use them. Very effective. If your tools are kept somewhere like a cold garage, oil them then put them in a plane sock. Much better than oiling them and then keeping them in a cupboard with no air circulation, which tends to cause rust, despite the oiling.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I use old socks for some of my planes - oil the planes first though as mentioned above.

Rod

Plane socks? I want some for my No.8.

All my planes have a sole, a heel, and a toe - but at 24 inches long, only my No.8 has two feet :mrgreen:

Okay, okay, I'm leaving....

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":1l4etpoi said:
Plane socks? I want some for my No.8.

All my planes have a sole, a heel, and a toe - but at 24 inches long, only my No.8 has two feet :mrgreen:

Okay, okay, I'm leaving....

Cheers, Vann.

:lol: =D>

I use them... not sure about stopping rust, but I feel better chucking my planes in the bottom of my site bag with a bit of protection.

Harbo":35wz56o0 said:
I use old socks for some of my planes - oil the planes first though as mentioned above.

Rod
What he said. My planes live in my tool box in old cotton sport socks that get a load of WD40 chucked in and out every 6 months or so. Never had any corrosion on my planes when kept like this even when they are left for a month or two. Oak framing doesn't have a great deal of use for planes, I really only use my no4, my block plane and no78 live in the box 95% of the time I have owned them.

I have a couple of the "well known" socks. I use them for my less often used block planes. There has been no rust, despite a damp workshop where other planes
have shown rust.

So the socks appear to work as advertised.

BugBear

Back