Question for Bob 9fingers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikko59

Reaction score
Hi Bob.
I am a newbie here. I am making a swinging crib for my impending grandchild and am looking for the pivot assembly. Somebody on this site said that you had made a crib. Any thoughts? Cheers Nick

I made the pivots from brass and small ball races. Ensure that you fit limit stops as well otherwise the child can tip themselves out!! I found that a swing of plus - minus four degrees was about right.
I'm away from base at the moment but will see if I have any photos.
They might even be on this forum - have searched the archives?

OK I see that I wrote this project up on a forum that no longer exists and so the text is lost.

This is a photo of the completed item

This is the bearing mounted on each end of the stand uprights.

This is the mating part on the crib itself. The keyhole shape allows easy assembly but cannot jump out with the weight of the child.

The limit stops are made from black plastic (delrin) and one part is on the frame and one on the crib. The gap is narrow so little fingers can't get in.

one part:

and the other:

Hope this clarifies.

Best place to find me these days is over on the woodhaven2

Thanks Bob. Very neat solution. So can you take the cradle out of the frame without removing that hardware? I don't have the means to do the metalwork but could probably get it done for me. I can't exactly make out the setup on the female part but could probably work something out. Nice job!
Thanks Alexam too. May be able to use something like that

Yes it will come apart. firstly the wedges are loosened at eh base of the stand which allows the two upright to splay slightly.
You then take the weight of the crib and lift whilst opening the gap between the uprights and the crib comes upwards and out.
Easier to do than describe to be honest.
The stand comes apart for storage inside the crib in between child production phases.
When I started building it I always joked it would either be fire wood or a family heirloom - seems to be turning into the latter - a gt. niece and gt. nephew have used it and another niece is getting married soon so I expect it to be passed around.

Lots of tiny ball races are sold on fleabay for very little money. Choose a diameter of the brass parts to suit a forstner bit that you have of vice-versa. Note the screw spacing on the keyhole part has to be 9, 12 and 3 o'clock to make room for the bearing. The male part holes can be spaced at 120 degrees as would be normal. Once assembled the pivot mechanism is virtually invisible.

Hi Bob. me again!
Is there any way that if, say,the wedges worked loose the frame could splay apart and the bearings slip out of their mating part and the whole thing fall to the floor? I can't quite work out what the smaller hole in the mating part does, the keyhole shape. Have seen some ebay ball races but all with a large central hole, not sure how you would secure them! Cheers, Nick

There is no way the bearing can come out apart from deliberate dis-assembly.
The key hole holds the bearing so it can't come out.

Back