Birch Ply - Briwax?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geofract

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to finish some birch ply cabinets at some point in the near future.

Ideally I would like to achieve a similar finish to the pic below. I will leave the edges bare too.

040ed71aa7ca287c5cce6bde0acb3152.jpg

Should I go for shellac sanding sealer, then Briwax, or would that turn splotchy on birch? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am a little stuck on this one!

G

Attachments

• 040ed71aa7ca287c5cce6bde0acb3152.jpg
    040ed71aa7ca287c5cce6bde0acb3152.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,784
I've been researching the matter a little further, and on the face of it, it looks like I might be better off using wood dye. With wood dye I can mix the exact colour I want, and gradually apply it with thin coats, so that may be easier to control. Then I can use Matt/Satin Polyurethane over the top. I'm pretty sure I will still need Sanding Sealer, or some kind of 'conditioner' before the dye is applied, otherwise, my research suggests the results could be splotchy.

I guess I'll have to get on and try some test pieces asap.

is that not a walnut veneered ply? I cannot see how you would otherwise prevent the stain from showing on the edge at all.

That looks very much like it's been sprayed with something like 30% - 50% pre-cat or acid-cat lacquer with no dying or staining undertaken to change the colour of the American black walnut. To reproduce the finish appearance that's the option I'd attempt as a sample first because I'm pretty certain I'd get a very similar result, especially if all I've got to go on is a photograph. Do you have any more details from the maker about the finish applied to the piece? Slainte.

I don't have any more details about the finish. The details I originally saw online about the piece have now been removed.

A more difficult problem could be finding a supplier, for low volume. I am hobbyist, and would probably only want one or two boards, at least for now. I have found a company in Blackburn that stock American Walnut veneered birch ply, but shipping alone would be £200. Not practical, sadly.

I'll continue to research the dye/staining side of things, but equally it may be I have aim for a different design, with a more natural birch finish.

A quick Google shows plenty of suppliers of walnut veneered ply. Looks like SL Hardwoods could possibly be a good option for you. They could even cut it for you so you could go and collect it perhaps.

Looks like two suppliers to me, SL Hardwoods and Peter Benson - unless I missed some?

I spoke with Peter Benson on Friday, who supplies 19mm off the shelf - they did say they could cut down a sheet and send via courier - that would then be three sheets of 1.22 x .82 - which might be viable, but I could do with two pieces that are 1.8 x 0.4.

Good thought about SL Hardwoods though. They have 6mm listed - I will call to see if they can supply greater thickness - 24/25mm - that would be ideal. Otherwise I could attempt to marry an 18mm Birch sheet with a 6mm Walnut sheet - I've never tried to laminate two pieces together though, so not sure if that's realistic. Happy to be informed otherwise?

I should add that the stock from Peter Benson has a Birch core. The stock from SL Hardwoods is MR grade, but not necessarily Birch core - I will ask.

Back