Dremel type tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
Looking to buy a rotary type tools like Dremel, or whatever else is worth considering. Not botherd about cordless, as a corded tool will retain speed. Main use for woodwork, inlay and router type attachement also needed. Any suggestions would be helpful please as this is not my area

bourbon":7r81lhd0 said:
got mine in a sale at Maplins. Get one with a separate transformer not mains power as the cord is thinner and therefore lighter

I have something similar and really need something with a bit more 'welly' and a router base.

I bought a dremel not realising there were makes about.
A friend bought a proxxon and he is delighted, uses it all the time.
Possibly worth a look and see if it will do what you are after.
Regards Rodders

RobCee":2rdnu4vk said:
I would say, take a look at the Proxxon ones. I have both and the Proxxon is better built and more capable, although at a price.

Hi Rob, which models of Dremel and Proxon do you have and can you say in which way the Proxon is more capable than the Dremel please? What do you mainly use these tools for?

Cheers

I too have a Proxxon - this one. I find it a pleasure to use compared to the Dremel I used to own. Much quieter, and much more precise in the sense of runout on the spindle. Axminster rate it as industrial, whereas the Dremel is hobby rated, so I'm hoping it will be more durable too - the dremel didn't last more than a year or so of light use. I use the thing for grinding small metal parts, and also as a toolpost grinder in the (engineering) lathe.

Regards, Robin

The two biggest problems, I was told by a long term Dremel user (My F.I.L.), was that people tend to cover up the cooling slots with their hands, and they over heat
They also overheat because the tools are used frequently in dusty conditions, therefore are easily filled with dust inside the machine, and not cleaned, and he used one for years.
Once, or twice a year, you will be really pleased you have one!
Regards Rodders

No extra tax/duty it's EU so just the same as dealing with a British firm. Their postage seems to be a flat rate of 9.95 euros to UK and usually takes 3/4 days.

I got the Dremel 4000 a few months ago to replace an 20 year old Minicraft cordless model:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-4000-Rot ... 0033UWLX8/

Like night and day compared to the old cordless model!

These things only get occasional use for me - but when you need them - they are very handy! Would definitely recommend this Dremel kit. And also although more expensive, the Dremel cutting discs etc are far better than equivalents I've tried.

Cheers

Gidon

It seems that Voelkner have suspended sending goods out of Germany - later in the year they say :(

Thanks Roger. How about foot switches? Any idea what's good to use with a power tool or machine. Thinking really router or the like, where both hands are in use?

I don't like cheap tools but I bought a Dremel type from Lidl when they had a special offer on. It doesn't get much use - hence the decision to get a cheapie, but it seems to work fine. They come with a 2 year guarantee, may be 3 years actually, but in any case I have found it very useful, but as I said, occasional light use. I could not justify a pricey model for the amount of work I was anticipating. It seems to be made in Germany, not the usual Far East junk, and is badged as a Workzone tool. Will I regret buying cheap this time? Who knows, but so far so good.

K

Back