So You Think You Can Remove Shavings !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hook tool is supposedly great for getting a superior finish and as seen in the video can remove heavy shavings quickly.I use a ring tool which I suppose is similar but have yet to find anyone in the UK who makes the hook tool though there are plenty of instructions online to make your own.

Pete

Im not a woodturner, I never realised you could have a tool overhanging the toolrest so far and do the cutting at the bottom of the bowl.

He's sure going at it ! I need to break out my big gouge and stop messing about I think :)

Cheers, Paul

Bodrighy":1gr6cmbh said:
The hook tool is supposedly great for getting a superior finish and as seen in the video can remove heavy shavings quickly.I use a ring tool which I suppose is similar but have yet to find anyone in the UK who makes the hook tool though there are plenty of instructions online to make your own.

Pete
All those on the left of this image are turner made hook tools, only ever seen them being used on green or soft wood like lime.
download/file.php?id=31291&mode=viewv

RobinBHM":sqyld6p9 said:
Im not a woodturner, I never realised you could have a tool overhanging the toolrest so far and do the cutting at the bottom of the bowl.

Obviously you can but it takes practice. I have done it on smaller things with the ring tool but you need a strong tool and a long handle. Don't try it with a thin shanked tol. at best it will bend at worst it will snap.

Pete

I am being honest, I think it is a demonstration of brute force and lathe power. I have a Kel McNaughton coring system and it needs a lot of power, a 2.2KW motor and modern inverter will still stall if not used with care. The same goes for the 1" bowl gouge. I also noted that he was not getting proper bevel support with the bowl gouge as it was skipping when starting the cut - I think because the tool rest was too high.
Please aim for better technique than maximum wood removal through brute force that is being demonstrated here. It is not something I would aspire to.
(ps, not trying to be a misery guts here, but I do think that people aspiring to copy this guy are asking for trouble).

The hook tool was cool though. Kel McNaughton used to do a hook tool which I have, and am yet to even be able to do the basics with it, let alone the finesse demonstrated in the video.

Regards,
Andy.

Andy, I think you are missing the point. The turner is in a production environment where time means money. You can tell that the lathe has plenty of power by the fact that it doesn't slow at all. I suspect that in the same circumstances we would all progress - & if the whip was cracked hard enough, even reach the same standard. :)

Tip: Peter Hemsley at The Tool Post advised me to flatten the point on the McNaughton cutters slightly which makes them less likely to grab on the initial contact.

RobinBHM":2gupssyf said:

It looked to me tha the tool was in fact "pulling" and not being pushed.. This has given me an Idea :)

If you have 90 minutes to spare here are 8 French turners demonstrating their art

1. Paul Texier : Etoile filante
2. Romuald Clémanceau : Fleur au galet
3. Jean-Claude Charpignon : Boite éliptique
4. André-Michel Vion : Techniqhe de finition
5. Manuel Castro : De la forge au tour
6. Georges Baudot : Tenue de soirée
7. Aurélien Neira : Découpe, eloge du vide
8. Christian Delhon : Boite ronde

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... 99Gg_R6mdE

Seems like the French have professionals giving woodturng demonstrations just like we do.:) Wonder why I thought it would be any different!!

One of those in the video above (#5 IIRC) uses hook tools in both push & pull mode.

Interesting video, never seen anyone using a cabinet scraper on a lathe before. A couple of the turning tools were pretty unusual too (handmade tools that almost look like an upside down knife about 3mm thick going down to a point) and used on a small table rather than a tool rest.

leisurefix":2w7ehu98 said:
Interesting video, never seen anyone using a cabinet scraper on a lathe before. A couple of the turning tools were pretty unusual too (handmade tools that almost look like an upside down knife about 3mm thick going down to a point) and used on a small table rather than a tool rest.
David Woodward, professional turner & former owner of the From The Wood gallery in Hay-on-Wye both uses & advocates the use of cabinet scrapers for sheer scraping. Also, he makes various shapes of scraper from large hacksaw blades but IIRC he sharpens them with a bevel like a plane iron.

Edit to add link : - https://www.facebook.com/davidfromthewood

The tool in the first video looked to me to be similar to a penknife blade clamped in a holder but they didn't show it very well.

Anyone seeing Mark Hancock demonstrating some of his hollow Globes or Pods will no doubt have seen him using cabinet scrapers for that final finesse of finish, or if he was taking a break touching up the cutting edges on the same.
I have used the same but am always nervous of a scraper blade without a holder and its potential to take its revenge on my hand if I loose focus for any reason.

Back