Dimensions for a beaded face face frame kitchen cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleythecat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi again

I've been looking through the posts on this great forum (so much helpful advice!) and have seen a few variations on the dimensions for faceframes on cabinets. I was wondering what people use as a rule. Does your frame width match your door stile witdth for instance? The frame seems smaller usually. Is there an aesthetic convention that works best or is it all about standard timber sizes?

Leo

I think I went for 50mm frames and 75mm rails/stiles on the doors in my sitting room alcove cabinets. The bead was another 8mm on top of the frame width.

My kitchen units (bought from manufacturer) has 35mm (no bead) frame and 90mm rails/stiles on the doors.

I typically use 38mm frames. This way I can use 19mm uprights on units that butt together, (giving 38mm total), and 38mm will allow for 19mm end panels to be buted up to the back of the frame.

Adam

Sorry chaps I let this one slip away!

How thick is the wood you are using?

Adam, what do you use for the door dimensions if you are using 38mm on the frames?

Tierney I've noticed that the shop bought ones that you mentioned have a less refined look about them so I'm not suprised that you both have come in suggesting smaller dimensions.

Thanks again

Leo

I tend to use 40mm face frame plus 10mm cock bead.

Doors: 70mm stiles and rails. For a more traditional look the bott rail could be 90mm or 100mm.

Face frame 27mm thick, Cock bead 26mm, doors 25mm.

If painted I use tulipwood 1 1/4 stock, usually comes in about 33 to 35mm thick. 9mm MR mdf if a shaker door.

Robin

Hi folks.

Sorry to dredge this one up from the past!!! but after nearly a year of building I am finally about ready to start looking at the kitchen units and for my own depleted confidence I'd really like some advice before carrying on.

Firstly, as I am completely naive, when you order you wood do you have to plane it to your prefered thickness or is it pretty accurate on arrival?

You would be best advised to plane it to desired dimensions youself. However, before you do so I would leave it the shop for a few days to let it acclimatise first. After a few days plane to a dimension close to your final thickness, leave it over night than plane to exact size.

Good luck

Back