Which scroll saw to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DRM":24230ax0 said:
I've given up on the Swordfish.
I like the idea of the Excaliber's moving arm but I am concerned about the reliability of the Excaliber. I like the reliability of the Hegner but I am concerned about having to move the table for every blade change.
When piercing with the Hegner do I need to lift the table or is it simply undoing the top clamp?
I have accepted the offer to go an see Martinka's Hegner but today's snow has caused a delay.

I can assure you there is no need to worry about blade changing on a Hegner even with pierced cuts, it tales seconds and you can practically do it with your eyes closed!

I thought that I would let you know that I have agreed to buy Gill's Hegner Multicut 1 Variable speed. it will be transported to Settle from where I will collect it. So this newbie nearly has a machine to play with & only the snow can cause a delay.
Now looking forward to setting it up and playing or is the technical term "producing expensive saw dust".
When I've produced something I will try and post a photo on the forum.
Watch this space.

Good to know you've got yourself sorted out. As I am only doing small work I have a Proxxon DSH 2 Speed which is great for what I'm doing.

scroll.JPG

Attachments

• scroll.JPG
    scroll.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 845
DRM":25blbmam said:
I thought that I would let you know that I have agreed to buy Gill's Hegner Multicut 1 Variable speed. it will be transported to Settle from where I will collect it. So this newbie nearly has a machine to play with & only the snow can cause a delay.
Now looking forward to setting it up and playing or is the technical term "producing expensive saw dust".
When I've produced something I will try and post a photo on the forum.
Watch this space.

Good luck and happy scrolling :) I'm sure you will be well chuffed once you have it :)

Thanks toesy - the saw blades received today.
Use of blades and cutting delayed whilst dust collection system installed. I know what I want. I have had one of the adaptors supplied with the cyclone dust collector modified by the addition of wooden bush that in turn accepts a length of 32mm pipe. I need to puschase a few bits and pieces and then I can install the system.
I just hope that I do not damage the saw thro ignorance - but Gill has supplied setting up instructions.

DRM":26u33908 said:
I just hope that I do not damage the saw thro ignorance - but Gill has supplied setting up instructions.

I have had blades snap, with a loud bang, and now for the past 6mths use my saw every day (weekends included) 12 hrs a do and my say is already 12 years old. All I can recommend is drop some oil at the bearing points. Machine grease tubes from eBay or Screwfix is a great choice, but I prefer to try and wash away any grit with WD40. And then use the machine grease around the outside.

Maybe Ive had a few tonight and my reasons are that the Grease is to act as a barrier to keep dust etc out, where as the WD40 really does the bearing its much needed oiling.

Glad the blades arrived., and hope you benefit.

toesy":1p6z4yp0 said:
where as the WD40 really does the bearing its much needed oiling.

I don't want to be a killjoy but I have to say that although WD40 is an excellent and very useful product the one thing that it is not very good at is lubrication! The clue is in the name of the product, the WD part stands for Water Dispersal which is essentially what it does best, for proper lubrication you are better off with 3 in 1 oil or similar.

I would never use it to lubricate my scroll saw or any other item that needed oiling to be honest! :)

scrimper":105tkl3k said:
toesy":105tkl3k said:
where as the WD40 really does the bearing its much needed oiling.

I don't want to be a killjoy but I have to say that although WD40 is an excellent and very useful product the one thing that it is not very good at is lubrication! The clue is in the name of the product, the WD part stands for Water Dispersal which is essentially what it does best, for proper lubrication you are better off with 3 in 1 oil or similar.

I would never use it to lubricate my scroll saw or any other item that needed oiling to be honest! :)

Plus one. :shock:

Take care.

Chris R.

Would only recommend oil for lubrication, grease attracts dust and holds it in a big sticky mess...

Well at last I am up and running. Dust extraction installed, first blade fitted and generated some expensive saw dust.
I need to go the local wood yard to try and scrounge some off cuts whilst I carry out some trials. I intend copying the learner exercises in the two books I have.
I'll try to remember to post photos of my first real efforts.

Back