CBN Wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arckivio

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Would I be stepping on any sponsors toes if I mentioned where I got mine from? Only wanted to share the info after searching on & off for ages looking for reasonably priced wheels & finally found them to my own spec. I'll wait to hear from a mod.

I don't think that there are any site sponsors.

If you got good service and it is a good product, recommend away. If you have a commercial link to the supplier, don't!

marcros":2ez6xj6v said:
I don't think that there are any site sponsors.

If you got good service and it is a good product, recommend away. If you have a commercial link to the supplier, don't!

Fair enough. If anyone is interested let me know.
I had mine made for me in Lithuania to my design & they are amazing compared to my original stone wheels. I couldn't really find 8" wheels anywhere else that didn't cost more than my union graduate lathe did!!!
Only problem with my more elaborate wheels is that they weigh 4.7 kilo's each but on my axminster slow grinder they seem fine. A simpler design would work fine on fast grinders. The accuracy of cbn wheels & lack of vibration helps sharpening but even on my 180 grit wheel, I'll have to get used to just a very gentle touch as they cut so easily. I've read this applies to all cbn wheels so if I could order mine again. I would go for a higher grit than 180 for the fine wheel. I have no idea how to add pics so can't do that.

I did look into the off the shelf ones when looking at a sharpening system for turning tools. In the end, I went for the proedge because I didn't have a decent grinder, and having bought that, a decent aftermarket toolrest, possibly some jigs, a cbn wheel and a decent wheel for the other end, it was starting to get too expensive.

If I had the grinder setup already, I would have bought the cbn. I particularly like the fact that the wheel is a constant diameter.

marcros":1t9ykkeb said:
I did look into the off the shelf ones when looking at a sharpening system for turning tools. In the end, I went for the proedge because I didn't have a decent grinder, and having bought that, a decent aftermarket toolrest, possibly some jigs, a cbn wheel and a decent wheel for the other end, it was starting to get too expensive.

If I had the grinder setup already, I would have bought the cbn. I particularly like the fact that the wheel is a constant diameter.

I know what you mean about the cost but my grinder was a customer return on ebay & I made sharpening jigs my self so that helped. Both my wheels came to under 300 quid but I think the plain flat wheels like the ones I saw from the UK are around 120 euro's each for the 8" version, without delivery I assume. I've only had mine a couple of weeks & used them for Irish grind gouges & the exact repeatability is great!!! No stone dust, just very fine metal powder but I'm hoping even that will reduce when I've learned not be heavy handed

How are your wheels different? They certainly sound like they do a good job, and you have the advantage of a hollow grind, if that is an advantage to you. Unfortunately it is something that the proedge doesn't do, and I do like it as a grind. You can't have everything!

marcros":hnuvplhi said:
How are your wheels different? They certainly sound like they do a good job, and you have the advantage of a hollow grind, if that is an advantage to you. Unfortunately it is something that the proedge doesn't do, and I do like it as a grind. You can't have everything!

Mine are 32mm wide so there was room for radiused corners & the coating goes down both sides of each wheel by about an inch. That's why they're heavier than flat wheels as the rim is bigger

marcros":3no7qkc5 said:

There is an American seller on ebay selling wheels similar to mine out of hard aluminium. I would have gone for them even though they are more expensive & have import duty but I'm not the best tool sharpener & I thought a dig in with steel wheels means i lose a bit of coating. With ali wheels I assumed I could gouge a trough in them!!

Back